PDF initial view size not honored in SQSP?

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

I have many PDFs on our site (embedded as uploaded PDFs with a link to file option in the text).  In Acrobat the PDFs have their Initial View size settings set to 200%.  But when opened in SQSP they only open at standard 100%.  All other web apps honor the PDF view settings.  Is this behavior exclusive to SQSP?  Thanks!

Can you share your website URL and page that this is set up on?

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 

Did I help? Buy me a coffee?

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution
On 11/1/2022 at 1:46 PM, roattw said:

In Acrobat the PDFs have their Initial View size settings set to 200%.  But when opened in SQSP they only open at standard 100%.

As far as I know, browsers ignore the Adobe setting and open at a zoom of their choosing. For example, Chrome typically opens the PDF at 100% but if you add #zoom=200 at the end of the link, it should open at 200%.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/53c1a2cce4b0e88e61f99b70/t/636bdfb7d3b96b67565211c8/1668014007371/AgileMD-Chest-Pain-Acut-Coronar-Syndrome-110922.pdf#zoom=200

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Thanks for the update.  That makes sense.  Seems like in v7 SQSP (or the browser at the time) seemed to honor it.  We just noticed it in the past year so the browser is probably culprit.  On first try, it looks like the browser, or HTML in general, doesnt allow query parameters and strips out the =   and # sings so renaming it:

Acute-Coronary-Syndrome-110922#zoom=200.pdf

becomes

Acute-Coronary-Syndrome-110922%23zoom%3D200.pdf

Edited by roattw
  • 1 month later...

Could you briefly explain please:

"I have many PDFs on our site (embedded as uploaded PDFs with a link to file option in the text)"

The pdf's are stored at your SQSP site?

I need to do something like this if possible.

Ideally I would like to publish directly the pdf files with enabled Hyperlinks option.

Thank you in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

Correct.  When you make a hyperlink in SQSP, and set it to Dile (as opposed to web address), there is an option to Upload File and set the link to be a document link to that uploaded file.  The file management is less than ideal in SQSP though.  Im thinking about putting all prospective file links on another webserver where I can create logical folder organizations.  Finding a file once uploaded into the SQSP abyss is painful.  You can make an index for files storage, but thats just another convoluted step IMO.