Transfer vs Connecting Domains

Hi Forum

Adding a note for people considering whether to transfer or connect your domain to Squarespace (or any provider).

But also hoping there might be someone here who can help:

I'm on day 7, waiting for my domain to transfer to Squarespace. Squarespace say they're waiting for my current provider to release the domain. My current provider say they released the domain 7 days ago and have sent a screenshot of their records proving this. Neither side seem able to escalate or intervene.
I'm told (by Squarespace) I can't cancel the domain transfer.
So I'm now in limbo, unable to launch the new services we've built on the Squarespace site. 

Though the Squarespace guide indicates this part of domain transfer should be complete within 5 days, the help dept are now defaulting to the overall time expectations of the whole process, which can take 'up to 15 days'.

If only I'd connected the domain instead!!
It would have populated within a day, plus as someone else said on another thread about domain transfer, I'm going to be tied into Squarespace' pricing, and Google pricing for my emails, neither of which are particularly price sensitive.

Be warned anyone who's considering connection vs transfer.

And if there's anyone here who has any ideas for how to get out of this mess, please let me know!

Thanks, Caroline

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 2
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Yknott 

Sorry to hear you are having an awful time too!

It was a while ago and I can't remember the details, but I kept emailing both parties over and over (nicely) and eventually it did connect. I had forgotten how awful it was - there must be a better solution somwhere. I run a B2B business and we can live without the website for a week or two if we absolutely have to. But B2C businesses absolutely can't and I rarely come across brand websites that are down and never for that long.

Fingers crossed for you

Caroline