Adding Video Captions/Subtitles to Uploaded (Not Embedded) Videos

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hi there,

I'm experimenting with uploading .mp4 videos directly to Squarespace rather than embedding YouTube/Vimeo videos. It works fine but there doesn't seem to be any way to add a caption file, and the video player doesn't include closed caption options when you click on the little gear icon. When I look at the code, it seems that Squarespace includes a <div class="plyr__captions"></div> for captions, but it's empty.

I thought I'd try uploading a caption file to Squarespace's CDN and then use a code block with <video> and <track> tags to create a player (thusly: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Guide/Audio_and_video_delivery/Adding_captions_and_subtitles_to_HTML5_video) but before I go about reinventing the wheel ... does anyone have experience with adding subtitles/captions to an uploaded (not embedded) video in Squarespace?

Thanks in advance,

Prescott

• Solution
6 hours ago, HeyItsPrescott said:

I'm experimenting with uploading .mp4 videos directly to Squarespace. It works fine but there doesn't seem to be any way to add a caption file, and the video player doesn't include closed caption options when you click on the little gear icon.

Squarespace-hosted videos are fairly new, with new features added iteratively. A captioning feature has not been added yet. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 10 months later...
On 10/20/2022 at 7:35 AM, paul2009 said:

captioning feature has not been added yet. 

Captioning is not currently possible on Squarespace-hosted videos. You may want to look at Vimeo as an alternative if you require captioning.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've faced a similar issue myself. Best solution I can think of is to use the built in Transcribe feature on Microsoft Word, set the Microphone setting on your PC to Stereo MIx and then play the videos into it, it then uploads the audio only to OneDrive and transcribes it within about a minute or so (for a 2 minute video). 

I've tested this on a couple of my online courses and this seems to work quite well as I can then paste the transcript into the HTML page holding the video, it isn't captions but seems to be the next best thing.

Edited by Peacecloud_Ltd
  • 1 month later...

Hello - curious if there are any updates of SS offering closed captioning with uploaded videos - or if there is a CSS code solve? I am building out an online course and my client wants to purchase the Pro Plan for Digital Products - but without a closed caption setting - SquareSpace is skipping a critical step for fair accessibility. Would hope this is something they are prioritizing.

Any updates? THANK YOU!