Customize the categories page

How do you customize the categories page?  On my website I have a page called "Store", then two categories, one called "Original Drawings" and another called "Art Prints".  Each category has the items for sale in them.  However all those items are showing up on the Shop page and I can't seem to remove them.  All I can do is edit the text, size and spacing.  The problem is that as the images on each page are identical, they are showing up twice on the shop page.  

I'd like to instead have the Shop page have just the two links to the categories along with custom photos indicating what those two items are.  But I don't see any way of doing this.   

Put your shop page in Not Linked. Then create a regular Page that is an index to your category pages.

From there if you don't want people to hit the main Shop page, then you have to fiddle the shop pages with some code to link back to the index page you created. I seem to recall this has been discussed in several threads at least. Although I don't have links to those threads at the moment. You might search later for them after the forum software has reindexed the forum search engine.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

If have low volume ( 30< per category  ) you could create a page with a summery block  point it to your store and then use the category as a filter. you still have to deal with the product page not having a link back to your summery page. 

summery blocks have a 30 item maximum limit. So that may not be a solution for you.

If you only plan to have two categories you might think of creating a store page for each.  

you can put a link on a page that filters by tag or category like

/gallery-store?tag=oil

which will take you to the store page and only show things with the tag/category but you still have to deal with the product detail page which will send you back to the main store page instead of back to the search by tag. 

Hope that helps 

• 3 weeks later...