Background videos not displaying on mobile

Since the iOS 16 update my background videos have stopped working on iPhone. They were working perfectly before the update and I haven't changed a thing. They work fine on MacOS, iPad (iOS 15.6.1) and Android.

It would appear that this is a problem at the OS level on iPhone iOS 16 as I see exactly the same problem on different browsers, e.g. Safari and Brave, on the same iPhone. Both display the fallback image which isn't optimal given the device is not operating in low data or power mode.

Strangely, if I clear cache and web history for Safari on iPhone, the first time I visit the site the fallback image doesn't fully render into the space and leaves a black space beneath the image. If I close the tab and revisit the site the fallback image is fine.

The video files are small and less than 4Mb.

https://grahambrownmartin.com

I suspect it's either a bug in the latest webkit or something new to mitigate memory and power management.

I'd be grateful if anyone has a fix as I've run out of ideas

Edited by GrahamBM

Site URL: http://ki-art.work

Hi everyone, 

I need help please. Suddenly my background video is not playing anymore on my website homepage, now it just a static image even though I have background video added in the setting. Also, when I try to add an image for my mobile fallback image, it just replace the background video as well in the desktop version. Does anyone else experience this problem before or have any solution to this? Thank you so much. 

I have this same issue. I have a video playing in the background and  It was fine until I edited the text box. Now it just freezes. I even tried adding a new section and it does the same thing. Hoping someone has a fix or Squarespace can fix it asap. 

Edited by camillecurro

Site URL: http://bungalow28.com

Hello guys, 

Last night I noticed that all background videos (on my site bungalow28.com and my clients') stopped displaying via mobile. Other people were able to reproduce this issue as well via iOS. I did not check via Android. 

I logged this issue with Squarespace support and I was wondering whether you encountered this as well? 

For now I placed fall back images but it defies the purpose. 😟

Thank you so much. 

Hello @OldLadyStudio,

I received a response from SQSP team. They are currently investigating an issue with background videos and the engineering teams are prioritizing a fix for this as we speak.

For the time being, they suggested using a YouTube or Vimeo hosted video instead. So if you are experiencing this as well – apparently there's a high volume of reports for this issue – we may as well proceed with hosting videos on third-party webs.

I will continue to test from my end – I believe it will be resolved. 

Thank you.

🙏Thanks for the update! Great to hear they are working to resolve the issue. 

Keep us posted!

What I’ve done in the meantime is hide the video section on mobile and replace it with a static image.

Edited by OldLadyStudio
Missing context
  • 1 month later...