lost all my CSS

I accidentally deleted all my CSS. Is there a backup site or CSS file somewhere that I can access?

I thought I was only selecting a section of my CSS when I accidentally deleted all of it. Is there a back up file somewhere? A rollback maybe?

Any help would be appreciated.

Please post the URL for a page on your site where we can see your issue.

If your site is not public please set up a site-wide password, if you've not already done so.

Post the password here.

Adding a site-wide password does not allow anyone to alter your site. It only allows those with the password to see your site. Please read the documentation at the link provided to understand how it works.

Please read the documentation at the link provided on how to share a link to your site to understand how it works. A link to the backend of the your site won’t work for us, i.e. a url that contains /config/.

We can then take a look at your issue.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

If your Custom CSS is blank and saved there is no backup that I am aware of and Squarespace does not have a rollback feature. Not the news that you want.

In the future, it's not a bad idea to have your own backup of your Custom CSS in a document. Clicking save after deleting your Custom CSS makes it permeant in the same way that saving the page does after deleting content.

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 

Did I help? Buy me a coffee?

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link) 

3 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

In the future, it's not a bad idea to have your own backup of your Custom CSS in a document.

Folks, I suggest avoiding fancy word processors as they can add unwanted hidden characters that will mess up code if one pastes code back into an SS field. Ideally you want an app that is designed for code editing or has very simple text processing capabilities.

You might go old school on PC with something like WordPad, I think, I'm not a regular PC user, that is pretty bare bones. On Mac I like BBEdit.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

If you have lost the custom CSS of a Squarespace website that was previously online, you can follow these steps to retrieve it:

1. Visit https://cachedview.com/ and enter the URL of your website. This will allow you to view the cached Google version of your website. Alternatively you can find captures of your website at http://web.archive.org.

2. Use the Inspector/DevTools feature in your web browser to access the site.css file. You can do this by right-clicking on your website and selecting "Inspect" or "Inspect Element." Look for the site.css file within the list of loaded resources.
    Alternatively, you can save the full web page using your browser by right-clicking on your website and choosing "Save As" or a similar option. Open the saved site.css file in a text editor (such as TextEdit, Notepad or Sublime Text).

Here's a screenshot of the Firefox Inspector; select the Style Editor and find the site.css file in the list:

site.css.thumb.png.24750af954c8830c7660c7c87a7c4cfe.png

3. Scroll to the very bottom of the site.css file, just below the last line that says:

/*! Squarespace LESS Compiler (less.js language v1.3.3) */

Your custom CSS code will be located below this line.

4. To ensure clean formatting, run the copied CSS code through a CSS formatter tool. You can use an online CSS formatter such as this one.

5. Once the CSS code is formatted, copy it back to your Squarespace website.

6. Don't be stupid and make a freaking backup of your Custom CSS.

By following these steps, you should be able to retrieve your lost custom CSS and integrate it back into your Squarespace website.

Edited by Rammy
Additions
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

@Rammy Hello Ramy, Unfortunately, I wasn't able to successfully follow your guidance here regarding recovering CSS codes. I cannot find a way to properly transfer the CSS code from the inspect element; it could also be because I am not transferring the correct code. I have retrieved the previous site version from the internet archive. Could you please let me know how to properly identify the CSS file? I checked the " Inspect Element " and couldn't find the site.css file .. 

Edited by Alintje