Work around for a Search Bar on a Member Area page?

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

I am using a blank page in a membership area to create a very large list of video tutorials for members. I'd like to have a search bar at the top for the members to be able to use to quickly get to videos that contain their keywords. As I understand it, the membership area is currently not indexed and search bars for member areas are not supported. Is there a workaround for this? TIA for any input.

• 2 months later...
  • Solution
On 10/6/2022 at 6:53 PM, JTHeida said:

I'd like to have a search bar...for the members to be able to use to quickly get to videos that contain their keywords. As I understand it, the membership area is currently not indexed. Is there a workaround for this?

This is correct. Search cannot index protected content like Member Area content. There is not a way to resolve or workaround this.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...

Have to say, it is hugely disappointing that content you build in a member area is non-indexable for on-site search. Memberships are so content-led now, this seems disastrous. Any idea if it's on a feature roadmap? Is it because on-site search is Google-licensed?

• 5 months later...

Hello, I really enjoy the search bar in members are build mode. You know the one where you can search by tags. It's super convenient, but I noticed it isn't available for our members area subscribers after they log in.
They just have a list of blogs, but no way to narrow the search by tags or topics. 

How can I add a search bar for my logged in users also, so they can navigate the blog posts easier in the future?

Is someone able to help me with a code if necessary?

SharedScreenshot.jpg

• 2 months later...

@374979-wings - Did you find a work around? I am in the same situation and have built out a really robust member library - only to find when I published my site that search (a key functionality!) doesn't work anymore (like it does on the staging URL)

• 1 month later...

Friends, I found a workaround, albeit clunky.

I created a copy of the member page that I wanted to be searchable (yes, you have to copy each blog post) to a public, but unlisted page. I made the slug for that page a bunch of nonsense so no one will type that in and made it unsearchable for search engines.

Then, in the members area — I created a search block to only search content on that unlisted page.

It's not the best, but it works. I put hours into a site for a client and then realized that search wasn't an option (something they were set on). It was either this or starting from scratch on a different platform.