Page Count Limits - will it ever be expanded?

Site URL: http://www.herocards.us

I'm well aware of Squarespace page count limits, so please don't respond with a link to that explanation. My site is approaching 100 pages and will grow by at least 12 pages per month. I'm also aware of some workarounds to game the page count limitations (using blogs, galleries, etc.). My questions are:

• Will Squarespace ever expand the limits so larger sites can stay on their platform?
  • How does browser loading of pages work with Squarespace? Does it somehow need to load an entire site? Or does is load one page at a time?
  • Are the limitations mainly because of the cost of server space…or load times (see above)?

I'd gladly pay more for more server space. I do love Squarespace and am now well integrated with Commerce, Email Campaigns... and now looking at the new Custom Merch feature.

I don't want to be forced to transfer everything to a different platform down the road because of page limitations! But if this will never be increased by Squarespace, I have no choice. It's best to do it now with <100 pages, rather than in a couple of years when we have much more content to redo.

Advice?

54 minutes ago, CDuMez said:

Page Count Limits - will it ever be expanded? My site is approaching 100 pages and will grow by at least 12 pages per month. I'm also aware of some workarounds to game the page count limitations (using blogs, galleries, etc.).

You don't explain why your site is likely to grow by 12+ pages a month but, as you hinted, using collections such as blogs is the accepted solution for this. 

1 hour ago, CDuMez said:

Will Squarespace ever expand the limits so larger sites can stay on their platform?

A definitive answer won't be possible, but I think it's fair to say that this is unlikely, as Squarespace sites average way below 400 pages.

56 minutes ago, CDuMez said:

How does browser loading of pages work with Squarespace? Does it somehow need to load an entire site? Or does is load one page at a time?

Your browser loads the content of the requested page, plus the platform's scripts and stylesheets to allow the content to be rendered correctly.

58 minutes ago, CDuMez said:

Are the limitations mainly because of the cost of server space…or load times (see above)?

The limitations are due to the architecture design. When you reach over 400 pages you'll find the site difficult to manage. This isn't something you can change but, as I mentioned above, you can have many more items within collections, for example, unlimited blog posts and 10,000 products.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2022 at 11:41 AM, paul2009 said:

You don't explain why your site is likely to grow by 12+ pages a month but, as you hinted, using collections such as blogs is the accepted solution for this. 

A definitive answer won't be possible, but I think it's fair to say that this is unlikely, as Squarespace sites average way below 400 pages.

Your browser loads the content of the requested page, plus the platform's scripts and stylesheets to allow the content to be rendered correctly.

The limitations are due to the architecture design. When you reach over 400 pages you'll find the site difficult to manage. This isn't something you can change but, as I mentioned above, you can have many more items within collections, for example, unlimited blog posts and 10,000 products.

Thanks for taking the time, paul2009...and for the thorough answers!

Responding to "You don't explain...": If you look at the main URL, you'll see that we add “12 new Hero Cards, 12 new Hero Stories…every month.” That would grow the site by 144 pages per year at a minimum.

I have considered the blog option but found the design limitations to be too much of a compromise. I also need to give each Hero story page a number URL (which is printed on the back of a physical card) e.g.: https://www.herocards.us/hero83. Those URLs are already printed on our cards, so I can't change the URL format. I'm not sure how to pull that specific URL off using the blog format.

I'll revisit the blog collection solution, as it may be the only possibility for staying on the Squarespace platform. If I can't bend that to fit my desired design and solve the URL convention...I'll have to (unwillingly) move everything to a different platform. UGH!

Thanks again for sharing your expertise!

-Craig