"Events" page turned into a "Blog" page?

Hey friends,

I run climbontario.ca, which hosts a calendar of climbing competitions. Last season, we used the Events tool to maintain a calendar and a summary block on the homepage that showed the soonest upcoming dates.

Last night I started adding the new season of events, and part way through writing the icon on our Events page has changed from the square calendar icon to the fountain pen icon, indicating it has somehow become a Blog. It no longer functions with the summary block we had installed, either.

Does anyone know if something on the Squarespace end was updated to cause this change, or if I may have done something to change a page from an Event to a Blog? I'd love to revert the change, because keeping the past events from years earlier is a priority!

Thanks for any help or advice.

Tyler

On 10/3/2022 at 6:52 PM, nylertorton said:

I started adding the new season of events, and part way through writing the icon on our Events page has changed from the square calendar icon to the fountain pen icon, indicating it has somehow become a Blog.

You’ll need to contact Squarespace Customer Care to ask them to restore the Events collection. This is a known issue that can occur with these types of pages. I'm told the Engineering Team are fixing this so that it doesn’t occur in the future.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, HarringtonMethod said:

Has anyone been able to get their work restored?

There is no solution we can provide to fix a backend issue. Only SS can solve a corrupted collection issue.

I've heard tales of SS fixes but I have a collection which I've even talked to SS about, they said they'd look into it, but nothing was fixed. Thankfully this was on my test site so it wasn't imperative to fix it and i just moved on.

I don't fault SS for things going wrong in a complex system. What I don't understand is they don't seem to have systems in place to flag issues or automatically correct them. If I had to guess for these corrupted collections it seems like a type field has gone wrong.

You need to press SS to get the issue fixed. Don't let them make you go away as quickly as possible, which is their job. This customer "support" tactic is not unique to SS.. Companies don't make profits for their stockholders by supporting their customers to the level customers desire.

The only thing you could do with the front end interface would be to recreate the Event page and input the info in again. Not a practical solution for most situations really.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

IN RESPONSE TO THE ABOVE: Many of my blogs came back. The event page turned back into a blog page. There are some things that are different 1. I have to put the time I wrote the blog in with the date. 2. there is a categorize bar at the top of my page that I can not get rid of. 3. not all of my original blogs are in there. I had 35 and there are only 25 now. 

Just now, HarringtonMethod said:

IN RESPONSE TO THE ABOVE: Many of my blogs came back. The event page turned back into a blog page. There are some things that are different 1. I have to put the time I wrote the blog in with the date. 2. there is a categorize bar at the top of my page that I can not get rid of. 3. not all of my original blogs are in there. I had 35 and there are only 25 now. 

Also I can seem to post and publish my new blog but it does not show up on the site.

I just had something like this happen to a site in progress that has not been launched yet. Our shop page changed to a blog page, lost a lot of content and was ineditable. Was raking my brain to think what happened and started reworking the page but since editing was not working, decided best to contact SS.  SS restored the page and content rather quickly, but I am leery and worried about this issue. This was a very strange and random "bug". SS's response was not completely reassuring: 

"This was actually triggered by an internal bug within our platform, that has been identified by our engineers and they are working to solve this ASAP. However, they haven't found the pattern that triggers this behaviour. 

Having said that, the large majority of user reports, point to the fact that, this only occurs once on a Squarespace website, so the possibility to occur again within your website is limited. "