Adding Digital Product Variants

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hello,

I'm in the process of setting up my website to sell digital products and I notice you can't have different pricing options like you can for 'physical products'.

My digital products need different pricing depending on the license option you choose, but the exact same file would be downloaded when purchased.

Is there a way I can create different price options for a digital product? I do not want to list the different license options as separate products as I think this would be confusing for the customer.

• Solution
1 hour ago, Mel_Bank said:

Is there a way I can create different price options for a digital product?

No. You cannot create different price points for the same digital file.

Without seeing your site it's difficult to provide you with specific advice, but here are some possible workarounds that may help:

• Add each pricing option as a separate Digital Product. It's not ideal but you can make this less confusing for customers by removing the standard add-to-cart button and then adding Product Blocks for each licence. Each Product Block can be configured to only show the add-to-cart button (there are checkboxes for this). Each button can then be relabelled to have different wording (there is a checkbox for this in the product composer), such as 'Add Personal Licence to Cart' and 'Add Business Licence to Cart'.

If this helps you, please click "Like" below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I don't understand why this functionality is not available without workarounds, digital products are as popular as physical ones. Of course there is possibility to use other services for that, but if you're paying for squarespace website and it has a shop option, it just does not make any sense to do that. 

Here are the features digital product makers need:

1. Customer can set the price themselves. And you could set the minimum as 0 or higher.
  2. Possibility to add digital product variants with different prices, just like for physical products. These could be different licenses or different product versions that include or do not include certain assets.

How is this not obvious?

• 3 months later...

Hello!

I would like to know if it is possible to add digital product variants? So far I have not been able to see that option and I fear that it is not possible  for digital products?

I want to sell a digital product that has 2 variants--> it can be downloaded in US letter size or A4 format. 

If I couldn't do that, it would look quite unprofessional to customers to have extra products for each format.

Thanks in advance.

BR,

Jenny

39 minutes ago, Jenny1992 said:

I would like to know if it is possible to add digital product variants?

This is not currently possible. You must add them as separate products. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, a much needed feature! I have been hesitating to move back to Squarespace for this reason. I can always just link a button adn have them buy off the system, but then it won't work through Squarespace's shop. This just overcomplicates things for users, especially as a majority of service providers also offer digital products!

• 4 months later...

Good day,

I would like to know how I can set up a digital download product with variations.

I think this page explains what I'm looking for, but I noticed this option only applies to physical products:

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206540687-Adding-product-variants?_ga=2.155332411.1805738974.1679756994-466007511.1679149065&platform=v6&websiteId=61056e4d85eb8833069dcae8

For example, I want the customer to have an option for how many user licenses they'd like to buy the digital product for.

Many thanks,

Thom

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm selling digital products on my website and I have different variations of the same product. I want to create a dropdown menu where a customer can choose the version that they need instead of populating a page with similar products. Is there a way to do that? 

Thank you.

13 hours ago, Evgeniy said:

I want to create a dropdown menu where a customer can choose the version [of the digital product] that they need instead of populating a page with similar products.

Please see my 2021 post above. The situation hasn't changed. You cannot add variants to digital products.

27 minutes ago, onetenthestudio said:

I'd like to submit a request to be able to do this

To make a feature request and ensure it is seen by the right people at Squarespace, please submit it via Squarespace Customer Care using a support ticket.

• 9 months later...

So many years later after this issue was raised and this feature is still not available. I cannot begin to understand why there isn't someone smart enough at Squarespace to figure out how to do this, or able see how much this feature is essential for customers. It is so incredibly frustrating.