Product quantity regardless of variants

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: https://www.blank-supply.com/shop/p/applique-garden-stocking-2-pga2y-jd4y2-b7elk-mlmt3-faym5-94jtb-b55z6-d88ge-m5kns-yyalz-y695n

My client has 2 options per stocking product: to be embroidered or not, however there is only ONE product available even though there are TWO variants.

I would love to have this display "sold out" when either one of the variants is purchased so that she won't manually have to do so every time one variant is purchased.

Is there a CSS or header injection I could enter to accomplish this? Thank you!

Edited by blakelyhi
  • Solution
2 hours ago, blakelyhi said:

My client has 2 options per stocking product: to be embroidered or not, however there is only ONE product available even though there are TWO variants.

I would love to have this display "sold out" when either one of the variants is purchased

I'd like to tell you there's a built-in solution for this, but there isn't. With or without code.

Squarespace Commerce does not provide a way to sell products where a custom variation of the same base product is to be sold at different prices such as when products can include custom embroidery. It has been on my Squarespace Commerce Wish List for nearly five years.

In Squarespace, variants are always treated as separate products. There isn't an option to have a base product with addons. This works fine for a shirt style that is available in blue or white, but it doesn't allow the same shirt to be sold with or without embroidery. If one is sold, the other will still be available. It's a problem I see on a weekly basis. There is a third party service called Trunk that can pair them but it starts at $35 per month, which may be more than the Squarespace website.

Also, as you've probably seen, the Custom Product Form that prompts for embroidery details will appear regardless of whether the customer selects the embroidered option which can be jarring for customers. They are likely to think they chose the embroidered option by mistake.

The only workaround is to offer the base product (without variants) and offer to upsell the embroidery option as a separate product, but this will require some custom code to be written.

image.thumb.png.666890398d14fd3037db9c5b5057d69f.png

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Thank you for that information, that's what I was afraid of. If I were to instead offer a single product and an embroidery add-on as separate product, would there be a way to keep this information with each product? She has people buying 2-4 stockings with embroidery so needs to keep track of what goes on which item. Thank you for your advice, again!

3 minutes ago, blakelyhi said:

If I were to instead offer…an embroidery add-on as separate product, would there be a way to keep this information with each product?

You could do this by having several embroidery “products” titled to match the main product. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.