Site Suddenly Sluggish---Troubleshooting

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: https://www.summitandsur.com

I had my site built out and finalized a few months ago and it was previously working fine, no loading issues that I was aware of. I went to blog today on my site and noticed that when moving from one page to another, the load time seemed much slower and lagged. So much so that the header images are showing black before they load, which wasn't happening before. 

My web designer doesn't seem intent to help so I am here looking for advice on troubleshooting. The photos on my website are already web sized and ran through JPEGMini so I *really* don't think that is the issue. The only thing I have done and/or changed in the last couple months since having this site are:

-blogged a few times

-changed the SEO title format for the home page to a different verbiage by changing the page title itself

-added a couple links to my About page

The biggest issue really is that when the pages from the main nav load, you can see a background color where the header image should be before it loads. I have reloaded my files in there and double checked their sizing---everything is correct. 

Anyone have any advice on this? I am going crazy trying to figure out where the issue lies!

• Replies 2
  • Views 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Solution
1 hour ago, summitandsur said:

I went to blog today on my site and noticed that when moving from one page to another, the load time seemed much slower and lagged. So much so that the header images are showing black before they load, which wasn't happening before. 

I cannot see any technical issues that are affecting your site. On average, your About page loads in less than 1.3 seconds and a blog post - which contains many more images - takes less than 1.5 seconds to load. 

The colour block that appears before the images is normal for visitors on slower connections (less than a 1Gbps) but you can customise the colour if you'd prefer a tone that is a better match for your images - it can make the transition from colour block to image less dramatic 🙂

I don't know if this is good new or bad news, but at least you can rule out a technical problem.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.