two quick questions, before I commit to learning a new website builder

I'm done with my previous provider of services and their use of cloudflare and all the calisthenics to make a secure site, I'd like to confirm . . .

1) are pages created in squarespace automatically secure and display "https?"

2) I believe, having leafed through the tools, can I "drag and drop" elements, create forms, and modify components at will?

( I have ZERO java or html experience and need idiot proof)

3) how reliable is squarespace e-mail hosting?  Should I use gmail in some fashion?

4) the web designers for hire, how expensive is that?  My site isn't many pages, and it is really very cobby, looking like an engineer made it.  I'd like to change to squarespace after reviewing the hosting / e-mail / domain maintenance charges.  We don't get too much e-mail, about 50 per day.

https://www.weathering-direct.com

Thanks for any input and making me comfortable with such a commitment.

stevieJ

1) As with any complex system the answer depends on how you set up your site. If you use SS's built-in domain or host your domain with SS then yes you get secure connections. If your domain is hosted outside of SS and you do not currently have an SSL certificate for the domain then hosting on SS does not automatically give you a secure site.

2) SS does have some drag and drop elements. But if they would meet your criteria of drag and drop, only you can determine by using SS.

3) SS does not provide email hosting directly. They have a partnership with Google Workspace. I have found GW very reliable if not a bit confusing working with the interface. I'd say that GW is really designed for tech heads.

4) Per hour prices can vary widely. Also some charges will be based per project. The only thing I can say is get multiple quotes if you can. The old saying you get what you pay for applies.

I'm afraid I can't provide much comfort other than to suggest strongly that you get on board with a trial site and begin to answer some of your questions by experiencing SS first hand. Familiarity breeds comfort! 🙂

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

I second what @creedon has said. 

On the pricing part, I am a fairly new designer that charges on the low end (will be doubling prices in 2023) and start at $500 for a simple template build with customization. I don't do custom coded sites on any platform I design on since my general clientele have smaller budgets to work with. My design site is linked in my profile if you ever want to check it out. Might give you an idea of pricing ranges when compared to other designers.

9 hours ago, creedon said:

1) As with any complex system the answer depends on how you set up your site. If you use SS's built-in domain or host your domain with SS then yes you get secure connections. 

My intention is to recreate the site from scratch and use everything SS so SS seems like a solution for my biggest complaint.

9 hours ago, creedon said:

2) SS does have some drag and drop elements. But if they would meet your criteria of drag and drop, only you can determine by using SS.

3) SS does not provide email hosting directly. They have a partnership with Google Workspace. I have found GW very reliable if not a bit confusing working with the interface. I'd day that GW is really designed for tech heads.

My clientele are mostly scientists, engineers, and quality folks, and I do very specialized work.  If they find me, and I can help them, they'll message me.  I don't need fancy, I just need to be able to make changes without calling someone to add a text box or add a photo and position it where I want it.

e-Mail . . . Ugh, pass, I want everything in Outlook.  the most important function to me is search capability and as irritating as I find Microsoft's "let's change things and move them around so everyone needs to re-learn software they've been using for thirty years" policy on "upgrades," (and the fact I have to wade through three screens of instructions and go elbow deep into the registry to fix something)  finding things five years old among 250,000 messages is VERY important to me. They definitely have that part knocked.  This old dog isn't learning more new tricks. 🙂 . . .

One last question before I invest any of my rapidly shortening life . . . is there a way to use a service that can process e-Mails that use my e-mail address with a SS hosted domain name, e.g.,  john.smith@weathering-direct.com ?  I really just want Outlook to hit the server as POP3 (not IMAP.)  I don't mind if they fall off the server after a certain amount of time or the mailbox fills up (which it will.)

Thank you so much for access to your time and knowledge . . .

Steve

6 hours ago, stevieJ said:

I just need to be able to make changes without calling someone to add a text box or add a photo and position it where I want it.

SS can do this.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.