How to change the currency symbol ? 

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: https://www.afroposters.com/posters/p/carte-abidjan-noirblanc

How to change the currency symbol ? 

Hello, my website is targeted at customers in West Africa, our currency symbol being" XOF ".
(I do not use the e-commerce payment features, but still need the store structure for my business.)

I was using a CSS code I found to just change the currency symbol (full tutorial here) :

.sqs-money-native:before {
   content:none !important;
}

.sqs-money-native:after {
   content:' XOF '!important;
}

But with the changes to the price formatting, this has stopped working (it is back to showing the "€" symbol) !

How it is :" 15 000,00 €" ---- what I want ----> "15 000 XOF"

Can someone please help me, for the moment I will try and hide the prices, but it's terrible for business.

The website is :

www.afroposters.com

We are on the commerce basic plan. (I read that some JavaScript might be required)

Thank you all very much in advance !

Edited by African_Kid
  • Solution
13 hours ago, African_Kid said:

I was using a CSS code I found to just change the currency symbol (full tutorial here) but with the changes to the price formatting, this has stopped working (it is back to showing the "€" symbol)!

Hi @African_Kid

You were following my guide 🙂 Changing the currency symbol in Squarespace but it would have stopped working when Squarespace introduced a price formatting update (starting on 23 August 2022). 

I have now updated the guide so please take a look and then let me know how you get on. As you'll be the first to try it, please DM me if you experience any issues.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Hi @paul2009

The updated code has worked like a charm to change the currency symbol !

Thank you very much for how fast you answered 🙂

Now I just need to find a way to remove the ",00" which doesn't apply to our currency. I had an old line of code I was using for that, but it has stopped working as well ... Any chance you could help me with that as well ? 

Anyhow, thank you very much again !

1 hour ago, African_Kid said:

Thank you very much for how fast you answered. Now I just need to find a way to remove the ",00" which doesn't apply to our currency

You're welcome 🙂. I've added a section to the guide called Removing the decimal fraction.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

5 hours ago, Amanda_in_NZ said:

I followed the instructions and now my prices are showing as NZ$

How do you want prices to show? They can show as NZ$ or $ without using any code 🙂

4 hours ago, Amanda_in_NZ said:

I want prices to show as NZ$(price) - for now at least! - but I want people to be purchasing in NZD not in Euros when they make payment.

The guide isn’t what you need. It was written for people who need to display a currency that Squarespace doesn’t support.

As Squarespace supports NZD you can simply select this currency in the Checkout settings. After doing so, you should see prices like this: $9.99.

Next, if you change your site’s language from English (New Zealand) to something like English (United Kingdom) or English (United States), the symbol will change and your prices will show as NZ$9.99 instead.

I hope this helps 🙂.

Hi everyone,

Thanks @paul2009, that code is working perfectly for me (7.1). I needed a "€ / linear meter" instead of "€". But, within the same shop, I ALSO need a "€ / squared meter" and a "€".

Do you think it is something that I can fix with specific tags calling for "linear/squared/units" tagged products? 

Thanks for your answer !

2 hours ago, Coralie said:

I needed a "€ / linear meter" instead of "€". But, within the same shop, I ALSO need a "€ / squared meter" and a "€".

Do you think it is something that I can fix with specific tags calling for "linear/squared/units" tagged products?

Yes, you should be able to do this with code.

2 hours ago, Coralie said:

I have no idea where to place the ".product-mark.linear" into the code

Please provide a working link to the product. This allows us to take a look at the site and explain how to achieve what you require.

@Coralie I have updated the original guide to explain how to set the price by the linear metre and square metre. Let me know how you get on.