Is Google Fonts ( and Maps) violating European GDPR? / How to install a custom Font with Squarespace ...

For some reason, it has issues with a youtube related font even though there is no video on the side. It is loading the following site for no reason :https://www.youtube.com/embed/xkEmYQvJ_68?autohide=1&autoplay=0&controls=0&enablejsapi=1&iv_load_policy=3&loop=0&modestbranding=1&playsinline=1&rel=0&showinfo=0&wmode=opaque&origin=https://www.elena-carriere.com&widgetid=1

Bildschirm­foto 2023-02-23 um 16.22.15.png

Edited by bartay
  • 7 months later...
On 9/1/2022 at 2:00 PM, paul2009 said:

The team have provided an initial list of circumstances when a visitor to a Squarespace website will connect to a Google server. This will happen if any of the following are true:

Note that this is not an exhaustive list (more to come).

Regarding fonts, note that in Squarespace 7.0 you can now choose GDPR-compliant fonts by clicking SET ALL TO SYSTEM FONTS at the bottom of the Site Styles panel. This replaces all the Google or Adobe fonts with system fonts. This is in addition to the font packs already available in 7.1.

Hi,

I'm dealing with the same issues and wondering if there's been any updates?

I found out that Acuity is using Google reCAPTCHA on their scheduling page. I'm in contact with their customer support, and so far they've told me that it cannot be disabled. @paul2009 @ArminB or anyone, are you aware of this?

Many thanks!

Edited by Aurora
54 minutes ago, Aurora said:

I found out that Acuity is using Google reCAPTCHA on their scheduling page. I'm in contact with their customer support, and so far they've told me that it cannot be disabled. @paul2009 @ArminB or anyone, are you aware of this?

Yes, this is correct. The "invisible" Google reCAPTCHA is used when customers book appointments using Acuity Scheduling. It was added in July 2023, some time after I posted the initial list. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

9 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

Yes, this is correct. The "invisible" Google reCAPTCHA is used when customers book appointments using Acuity Scheduling. It was added in July 2023, some time after I posted the initial list. 

Thanks Paul! As you can see in the screenshot, Google fonts are being loaded on my site from what I can tell. Now what? Have you been in contact with Acuity about this as there's currently no way to disable Google reCAPTCHA?

Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-19 um 10.17.02.png

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2022 at 12:44 PM, wonderz said:

Hello, I followed the above steps, but there is still a google font being loaded by squarespace into the header of our site:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css2?family=Karla:ital,wght@0,400;0,700;1,400;1,700&family=Lato:wght@300">

It seems like this is a bug from squarespace, as duplicating the website following the described fix actually solves the problem. Please advise 🙏

I do have the same problem. I exchanged all fonts for system fonts and deactivated Google ReCaptcha (using a honeypot field instead to prevent spam as best as possible).

Duplicating the website won't be possible as the client already paid for the subscription and I am not sure if you can move the subscriptions to the duplicated website (as you can with the domain). 

I did just raise a support ticket and hope to hear back from them soon. If I do get a solution to fix this I will post it here.

Thank you all for your advice on this topic and the constant sharing. I hope Squarespace is being able to find a solution regarding all GDPR-related issues soon. I love the builder so much and so many businesses – including my own and the ones of my clients – depend on it.