DNS zone records - how to keep both SqSpace and your domain's email?

I'm still inside the trial period but I was nevertheless able to successfully map my Squarespace site to my domain.

However, all mail to @mydomain.com is now bouncing. As a layer of complication, I run all @mydomain.com email through Gmail, so my DNS records include Google's MX records, but my email only started bouncing after I made the switch below. 

My A records look like this:

NAME: @.mydomain.com    |  TYPE:A  | [squarespace IP address] 

NAME: *.mydomain.com    |  TYPE:A  | [mydomain.com IP address] 

NAME: ftp.mydomain.com  |  TYPE:A  | [mydomain.com IP address] 

NAME: mail.mydomain.com |  TYPE:A  | [mydomain.com IP address]  

Obviously, I have the two Squarespace CNAME records in there as well. 

On the Squarespace page to check whether your zone records are properly set up, I recall there were three additional @ A records, all backups. They disappeared once the first one was recognized. I don't think that has anything to do with my problem either, but I'm mentioning for the sake of completeness. 

So, is there anything I'm doing wrong here? Any help would be appreciated.  

Edited by tikk10
  • Replies 1
  • Views 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/23/2022 at 5:29 PM, tikk10 said:

I'm still inside the trial period but I was nevertheless able to successfully map my Squarespace site to my domain. However, all mail to @mydomain.com is now bouncing.

It sounds like some of your DNS records have accidentally been removed. If this is the case, they will need to be restored for the email to function. For help, please provide us with the actual domain name.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.