Can't add blocks to any section other than the top one on my home page..

Site URL: https://bumblebee-leopard-2e5t.squarespace.com/

Hi there,

website password: ross

I'm having a really frustrating issue whereby the '+ Add Block' button is not bringing up the normal pop up window when I try to add any blocks to sections (other than the very top one) on my home page. The window pops up as it should for the top section. 

Is it perhaps a bug due to the length of the page? It isn't even that long but I can't think of anything else. Any ideas how I can fix this? I need to add a lot more information and sections to the home page.

I have tried clicking it then scrolling right back up to the top but the window still doesn't appear.

I know you can't add blocks to gallery sections etc but this is not the problem, I don't get the pop up on any kind of section including blank ones. 

Any help is much appreciated!

Ross

Screenshot 2022-08-06 at 18.59.50.png

Screenshot 2022-08-06 at 18.59.56.png

• Replies 10
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

hello all sorry yes, this was solved - I had added a certain piece of bespoke code in the CSS which was not allowing the box to open to give you options to add blocks. I had to troubleshoot deleting different bits of code until it started working again. Luckily the deleted bit wasn't needed!

Ross

• 5 months later...

I had the same problem trying to add a new block to my footer, in my CSS it was the line of code

html, body {
    overflow-x: hidden;}

I should probably take some time to really understand why this happens...and why I need to use this line of code in the first place (I know the effect of why I use this code, but I don't know what causes the problem of the mobile site bouncing left to right in the first place). If anyone has a quick explanation that'd be super duper!

4 hours ago, oldegray said:

If anyone has a quick explanation that'd be super duper!

It happens when content overflows the bounds of it's parent containers causing the extra space on the right side of the site.

The html, body overflow-x hidden just masks the underlying issue. The cause of the issue should be found and addressed.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

On 3/31/2023 at 4:02 PM, creedon said:

It happens when content overflows the bounds of it's parent containers causing the extra space on the right side of the site.

The html, body overflow-x hidden just masks the underlying issue. The cause of the issue should be found and addressed.

That totally makes sense. Many websites that I create have some whacky change to the normal orientation of the text and/or image blocks - I could see how that might push it outside the bounds of the container. I'm not sure that can be addressed without removing the css styling all together? 

21 hours ago, oldegray said:

I'm not sure that can be addressed without removing the css styling all together?

You are right that if you have an effect, it may not be possible to have no overflow.

My thinking is to identify where the overflow is happening, so that you know which element(s) is/are causing the issue.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 11 months later...