Is it possible to create a tag cloud/categories for galleries using custom code on 7.1?

I'd be concerned that the site would be able to handle 4000 or more images. Please see Page limits. Gallery blocks and sections have a limit of 250 images. The more images in a gallery the slower the loading. Sites have a limit of 1000 pages.

If the images are off site I don't see an issue with a tag cloud except perhaps performance with such a large set.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Is it possible with custom code to bypass the 250 image limit on a single gallery page? This is a serious issue as my business model did not include such an arbitrary limit. The images are not all being accessed at the same time and would only be pulling based on whatever category or tag a user clicked.

If there is a way to bypass it by custom code I only need know that it's possible and I suppose I can seek out or hire a solution. Otherwise I'll have to constantly delete and replace images which is something that may be workable too.

You mentioned something about storing the images off site. How would I tie the tag cloud to such an off site link as far as categorizing of those images goes?

I really appreciate your help

Is it possible with custom code to bypass the 250 image limit on a single gallery page?

I've never seen any code that could manipulate galleries at a low level to get around SS's imposed limits. My sense is it's not possible. But if someone knows a way I'm sure they'll pipe up.

You mentioned something about storing the images off site.

My comment about the image being stored off of SS didn't have any deep thought to it. Other than to store 4000 plus images you're probably going to need something like AWS (Amazon Web Services) S3 (Simple Storage Service).

How would I tie the tag cloud to such an off site link as far as categorizing of those images goes?

I don't know.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Perhaps the Developer Platform Mode could allow such a change, but the 250 page limit won't be an issue if I can just enact some code that would allow the archive block/tag cloud to simply pull from more than one gallery at once. Then all I would have to do is have a folder of galleries and if possible, code the archive/tag cloud to treat that entire folder as a single entity as far as tags and categories goes. Then the imposed limit would be fine.

Do you think with custom code that the above is possible?

You've been extremely helpful and I see that you do more than your part around the forums and I thank you for that. Moments like these would simply be overwhelming without contributions form members such as yourself

• 2 weeks later...