Infuriating content movement issue

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hello! I am absolutely in love with the new fluid engine. I love everything about it, except for one major issue: Typing can cause everything on my entire page to move.

There's nothing more frustrating than spending time on a page, and typing in a text box, just to have one backspace, or one new line of text added, suddenly cause 50 or 100 rows of content across the entire page move up/down. This may force me to re-move every single item on the page back into its correct position. This may happen multiple times while editing a page. While some "hacks/tricks" help reduce the chance of this happening, such as dragging the text box to be far larger than I need, its not full proof. One backspace too far, and the entire enlarged chat box may shrink down to the size of just the text, and cause multiple rows of content to now all jump upwards on the page.

This has cost me possibly hours of pointless repetition at this point.

Request: Please make it so text boxes expanding/shrinking do NOT have any effect on the movement of all other content. If I want to move something, I will move it myself. I've spent hours re-doing placements because of this.

Additionally: A simple + and - sign beside the row your mouse is aimed at, to add or remove a row would be incredibly helpful. Sometimes I may decide I want to put x item at the top, and need to move every item on the page down. Dragging helps, but sometimes pages are too large. A "hack" I use at the moment is actually the very thing I complained about. I'll use a text box, drag it to be the full width of the page, place this text box at the top of the page, and hit enter a few times, to move the entire website down. This is very makeshift though, and official support for a simple +/- row option to the side would be significantly better. 

• Solution
16 hours ago, LucasPocus said:

Please make it so......

Please send your feedback to Squarespace by contacting Squarespace Customer Care using this contact form. Squarespace employees do not respond to requests via the forum (see item 6 of the forum guidelines).

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2022 at 1:23 PM, LucasPocus said:

Hello! I am absolutely in love with the new fluid engine. I love everything about it, except for one major issue: Typing can cause everything on my entire page to move.

There's nothing more frustrating than spending time on a page, and typing in a text box, just to have one backspace, or one new line of text added, suddenly cause 50 or 100 rows of content across the entire page move up/down. This may force me to re-move every single item on the page back into its correct position. This may happen multiple times while editing a page. While some "hacks/tricks" help reduce the chance of this happening, such as dragging the text box to be far larger than I need, its not full proof. One backspace too far, and the entire enlarged chat box may shrink down to the size of just the text, and cause multiple rows of content to now all jump upwards on the page.

This has cost me possibly hours of pointless repetition at this point.

Request: Please make it so text boxes expanding/shrinking do NOT have any effect on the movement of all other content. If I want to move something, I will move it myself. I've spent hours re-doing placements because of this.

Additionally: A simple + and - sign beside the row your mouse is aimed at, to add or remove a row would be incredibly helpful. Sometimes I may decide I want to put x item at the top, and need to move every item on the page down. Dragging helps, but sometimes pages are too large. A "hack" I use at the moment is actually the very thing I complained about. I'll use a text box, drag it to be the full width of the page, place this text box at the top of the page, and hit enter a few times, to move the entire website down. This is very makeshift though, and official support for a simple +/- row option to the side would be significantly better. 

OMG Help! What's the deal do you have to add all your text first? I have to keep redesigning the page over and over. 

• 7 months later...

I am having terrible time with this, setting up a vertical timeline. Whenever I add image or text box, it pushes the height of my page without my control, and blocks are constantly moved from where I put them. Is there any fix to this? I tried saving each time I made a single move, but it still was screwing up (and taking forever). 

Edited by andrew1
  • 1 month later...

This is the dumbest thing I've ever come across in a WSYIWYG editor in 30 years of making web pages.  I get that they want the page to be able to reflow and resize to fit any screen, but this could be fixed easily.

For example, say you're in the middle of a long page and you don't want 30 pages of design ruined when you add a space to a text block. Then, you add a Subsection Block, which would treat everything below as a new section with separate layout, except encapsulated inside the original section.  So it wouldn't have it's own section settings, but would use the same settings as the original section.

Alternately, they could have an option to cut a section at any point, splitting it into two sections.  It would be a scissors icon you click and it draws a red dotted line on the page that you can move where you want, then click CUT and boom, two sections. 

There are lots of ways they could fix it and it's sad they haven't come up with one themselves.

• 8 months later...

Wow, I mean, I will research this forum to see if, maybe since 2022 there is an answer to this.  I am so tired of creating a text box and then as soon as I move it everything on my page shifts and I literally have to shift it back up and down and depending on how many blocks I have that's hella annoying.  And the suggestion to lock blocks in place is something I would love.  

2 minutes ago, MoeCritiques said:

Wow, I mean, I will research this forum to see if, maybe since 2022 there is an answer to this.  I am so tired of creating a text box and then as soon as I move it everything on my page shifts and I literally have to shift it back up and down and depending on how many blocks I have that's hella annoying.  And the suggestion to lock blocks in place is something I would love.  

I have to add that I decided to see if using command or option or control keys would work and they didn't but finally, I think I discovered that if I just create the text box but don't type in it.  Move it to where I want and then type in it, nothing shifts.  I'm sure everyone knows this now but since I'm new and trying to find answers well that's what conclusion I came to.