Feature suggestion: "Live Photo" style image/video galleries

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hello.

I'd like to suggest a new feature for Squarespace 7.1.

"Live Photo" style image/video galleries

Much like with iOS live Photo - I'd like to create a still image gallery, and when the visitor hovers their cursor on an image (or, for mobile devices, holds their finger on the image), the image changes to a video and plays automatically.

This is an example of what I would like to achieve, and I think you'll agree it's pretty effective. It's a Wordpress website. (Note: Not all images in this example website work as videos):

https://palladianmedia.com/built-environment/

If this has been posted the wrong place then please let me know where new feature suggestions can be posted?

48 minutes ago, Michael_Walkling said:

If this has been posted the wrong place then please let me know where new feature suggestions can be posted?

Squarespace employees don't routinely monitor this forum for feature requests (see the guidelines - item 6).

If you’d like to make a feature request, you can do so by contacting Squarespace Customer Care using a support ticket.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

2 hours ago, Michael_Walkling said:

In the mean time, if anyone has a suggestion as to how a "Live Photo" effect can currently be achieved then I'd be delighted to hear about it.

The WP page you mentioned contains some short mp4 videos, Some JavaScript is then used to play them on mouseover and stop them on mouseout.  Although this isn't a built-in feature on Squarespace, a developer could achieve this with some mp4 videos and some code 🙂

As a simple example, if I add that same video to a Code Block on a site and add some simple JS, I can achieve the same thing. For example, see https://recordit.co/9ANEZX11oc

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• Solution
2 hours ago, Michael_Walkling said:

Would you be ok to share the JS used to play and stop the video?

It was a very simplistic example, added to Settings > Advanced> Code Injection > Footer:

<script>

myVideo = document.querySelector('video');

function hoverVideo(e) {  
    myVideo.play();
  }

function hideVideo(e) {
    myVideo.pause(); 
  }

myVideo.addEventListener('mouseover', hoverVideo, false);
  myVideo.addEventListener('mouseout', hideVideo, false);

</script>

Thank you Paul. This is really helpful. I've added an additional line of code to reset the video on mouseout:

<script>
  myVideo = document.querySelector('video');

function hoverVideo(e) {  
    myVideo.play();
  }

function hideVideo(e) {
    myVideo.pause(); 
    myVideo.currentTime = 0;
  }

myVideo.addEventListener('mouseover', hoverVideo, false);
  myVideo.addEventListener('mouseout', hideVideo, false);
</script>

Thanks again. This is exactly what I require.