🎉 Fluid Engine is HERE!! 🥳

Site URL: https://insidethesquare.co/fluid

Fluid Engine was officially announced today and I am over the moon excited about it! It has been SO HARD to not talk about this - so happy it's the 21st!! 😅

For anyone not familiar with FE yet, I made a quick overview video about what's new & different, what is still the same, and even recorded a quick screenshare to show off some exciting editing basics. It's all live on my YouTube channel ( https://youtube.com/insidethesquare ) and my site ( https://insidethesquare.co/fluid )

I am totally going to redesign my site with FE next month! Anyone else jumping on the band wagon with me??

🤓 Creator of InsideTheSquare.co
SQUARESPACE CIRCLE LEADER SQUARESPACE EXPERT SQUARESPACE EMPLOYEE EDUCATOR CERTIFIED CUSTOM CODE EXPERT

🗺️ New to Squarespace? Get your free roadmap: insidethesquare.co/roadmap
🙋‍♀️ New to CSS? Learn the basics for free: insidethesquare.co/learn
️ Ready to go pro? Get my custom code collection: insidethesquare.co/css

BeccaHarpain.gif.236d6ddd88c7d637645b762799f501a8.gif

I was totally unaware this change was coming. Clicked on a popup today and, as curiosity got the best of me, I saved the change to Fluid Engine on my pre-existing site. At first I panicked and was quite furious due to how it seemingly destroyed all of my hard work...but then I took a breather, and started messing around with the new engine and IT IS BEAUTIFUL. So many things I used to have to use CSS for are now just built in or otherwise circumvented by how the Fluid Engine operates. Most notably being able to (most things I've tried have worked) FINALLY edit desktop and mobile independently from each other. I'm in love with it. 

6 hours ago, TheBulkyBard said:

I was totally unaware this change was coming. Clicked on a popup today and, as curiosity got the best of me, I saved the change to Fluid Engine on my pre-existing site. At first I panicked and was quite furious due to how it seemingly destroyed all of my hard work...but then I took a breather, and started messing around with the new engine and IT IS BEAUTIFUL. So many things I used to have to use CSS for are now just built in or otherwise circumvented by how the Fluid Engine operates. Most notably being able to (most things I've tried have worked) FINALLY edit desktop and mobile independently from each other. I'm in love with it. 

I too got seduced by some of those features and then it turned to dread when I looked at my work in mobile and it's not even close. And now I get spinning ball whenever I try to add classic sections. How they released this without proper testing is mind-boggling. 

That's rough. Now that I'm used to it, I vastly prefer fluid engine to classic. It's worth taking the time to re-adjust/fix the pages that were adjusted, instead of reverting imo. A fair few of the pages I had worked my hind end off to get working just right are not only now back to the way I like them, but also looking better. The stacking and layer editing is a dream, especially given the mobile/desktop separation now. 

I just hope we won't be forced to adopt FE. Nothing worse than being forced to spend hours or days redoing a site, or in my case, three sites, that were functioning well. Each time that happens, it just leads to lost hours or days of productivity while trying to figure it out, just because SS wants to make changes. If, at some point, the switch is mandatory, I expect SS to pay for those hours or credit my account.

• 2 weeks later...

Not happy with FE. Is there a way to revert back to classic?  I don’t have time to learn a new method when what we paid for was fine for us. 

Is there a way to go back or are we just stuck with this new tool that No one has time to learn? 

really disappointed and unhappy.  We’ve spent lots of time and energy, as well as teaching square space to our youth with Dern near 50 new Ss accounts created because of us. Now this. Come on guys. 

On 7/28/2022 at 1:32 PM, debbievee said:

I just hope we won't be forced to adopt FE. Nothing worse than being forced to spend hours or days redoing a site, or in my case, three sites, that were functioning well. Each time that happens, it just leads to lost hours or days of productivity while trying to figure it out, just because SS wants to make changes. If, at some point, the switch is mandatory, I expect SS to pay for those hours or credit my account.

Yes I agree. Why pay for some thing and then the folks on the back end roll this out and get everyone all up in a bunch about it. This changes going be purely optional and people should be able to try before buy. I’d pay 3 times what square pace charges if I can just get one company to consider and hear us. Jesus this slowed us down trying to update this weekend and we jus t gave up. No one has time to learn this and it doesn’t look any better. It’s just TABLES. The same thing that all web is built on 

• 3 weeks later...

Using FE was a huge mistake for me. Not sure why SS is pushing it unless "Circle Members" have different options. Spent hours trying to get the mobile to show properly. If you want to pull your hair out and curse with no support then go ahead and give it a try. It's not easy and not cool. Check out more on the forums and you will see how other users are not liking it either.

20 hours ago, TheEcoporium said:

Using FE was a huge mistake for me. Not sure why SS is pushing it unless "Circle Members" have different options. Spent hours trying to get the mobile to show properly. If you want to pull your hair out and curse with no support then go ahead and give it a try. It's not easy and not cool. Check out more on the forums and you will see how other users are not liking it either.

Yes, I agree. But you can have both in the same website (FE and normal 7.1), so you can choose what is better for the section design you are building