Analytics Warning message – "Analytics is likely inaccurate due to disabled cookies"

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

• Solution
On 7/17/2022 at 6:42 PM, jmcdowell15 said:

Has anybody seen this warning message when looking at their traffic Analytics?

Yes, this is normal when your site is compliant with privacy laws like GDPR because you must not send analytics cookies to visitors until they click the opt-in message on your cookie banner.

Once visitors click the opt-in button, cookies will be used and their analytics data will be accurate. It will be less accurate for other visitors who don't opt-in - hence the warning.

If you are looking for a way to collect analytics without using Cookies, you may want to take a look at TinyAnalytics. There are no cookies and it is fully compliant with GDPR, CCPA and PECR 🙂. It's free for up to 50,000 monthly page views.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 5 months later...
10 hours ago, MML997 said:

Does this mean that my data will not be accurate at all? or does it just mean it won't show the individuals that choose not to opt in for cookies?

Data will be accurate for visitors who accepted cookies and less accurate for those who do not accept them. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SDMorley said:

would the general data re visits be more or less correct?

No. It will look like you have more visitors than you actually have.

Each pageview event counts like it’s from a new visitor each time. As a result, visits and unique visitors will appear much higher than normal. Each page view counts as its own visit, when in reality, one visitor will typically view multiple pages during their visit.

Edited by paul2009

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Paulstearman1234 said:

When I attempt to check the analytics on my site, this box comes up

This is correct. Please read my answer above.

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, marawilson said:

Is there any way to differentiate visitors who have opted-in and visitors who have opted-out to get a more accurate read on total visitors? 

No, this is not possible. 

If you'd like analytics that don't require cookies then I recommend taking a look at Plausible Analytics. It's very simple to add and it was built in the EU with privacy in mind. You can get a free trial and then it's around £90/€90/$90 per year.

Unlike Squarespace and Google, Plausible doesn't use cookies and does not collect any personal data so, if you aren't using cookies for anything else, you won't even need to annoy your visitors with a cookie notice! And you'll still get accurate statistics for unique visitors and page views - amongst other things.