"Incorrect Link" Error on Video Block

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: https://buffalo-veterans.squarespace.com

When I paste a YouTube link or the shortened version into the Video Block, I get an error message that says: "Incorrect link. Replace link above." The link is correct; the video is currently being displayed on another website, and I can use the link to view the video on YouTube with no problem. If this were an error about "unable to locate content," it would make more sense and I would check the video permissions.

Here's a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64w1lne8EKM (Shortened version is: https://youtu.be/64w1lne8EKM)

I've attached a screenshot of the error message below. Let me know if a site password is needed.

Thank you for any help or insight you can provide!

2002815917_ScreenShot2022-06-29at10_03_25AM.png.41f4b190d5449eed91a3dfa127fd77f6.png

Kristen Johnson

Affordable websites for small businesses
  • Solution
On 6/29/2022 at 3:26 PM, KJohnson said:

When I paste a YouTube link or the shortened version into the Video Block, I get an error message that says: "Incorrect link. Replace link above." The link is correct; the video is currently being displayed on another website, and I can use the link to view the video on YouTube with no problem.

The share link is the correct one to use and I don't experience the same issue (see below).

image.png.90093d9a3fb9814f94a34e34a7f34ef2.png

However, when this error does occur, the issue is often caused by not placing a check in the video's Allow embedding checkbox.

If you've checked this checkbox and continue to experience this issue, please contact Squarespace Customer Care. The forum community would love to help but we are unable to resolve technical issues with the platform.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Let us know how you get on 🙂

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm having the exact same issue. I've copied the link to my video from the "Share" button in YourTube but I continue to get the same error message. I've tried several different times and I can't seem to find a solution. Thanks for your time. 

• 1 month later...

Hi! Same situation in here. I was trying to upload YouTube video into my blog and kept receiving the error: Unable to retrieve video. Replace link or try again. I checked and the video link was definitely correct and so were my settings on YouTube. 

I contacted SquareSpace support and with their advice I was able to resolve the issue. I copy the advice herewith, should you find it useful: 

When copying and pasting a YouTube URL, always make sure you're downloading from the "Share" link right below the video. If you take the URL from the search bar at the top of the screen, there is a chance that something will not be read correctly.

However, in this case, the YouTube video didn't load the content when using the "Share" link, I used the browser link instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCcuUZcSlWU 

Also, I'd suggest checking this guide about uploading videos to your site:

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206542397 

I hope you've found this to be helpful. Please let us know if we can assist you with anything else. We are here 24/7 and always happy to help.

Edited by Alena
I managed to resolve the issue in the meantime.
  • 3 months later...

I was just having trouble, for the first time. I always upload from youtube with no problems. Suddenly, problems with the link. After trouble shooting, I resolved it by clicking to watch the video, and clicking the SHARE button under the video, copy and paste...and it's fine now. Before, I was able to copy and paste right from my youtube edit page. I guess something has changed. Now I know! 

• 7 months later...

Glad I found this post because yes:

Unless you have your video(s) set to be embedded, you will not be able to add them to your video block. The only other option is to upload your video to SquareSpace which your account may or may not have available. 

To do that, go to your Channel Content, click the video, edit the details and scroll down to where that embed pref is located. Screen grab for help. 

SCR-20230906-moum.png