Square space Contact forms grouping up in Gmail

Go to solution Solved by MaryPhilip_,

Hi,

Can anyone help?

My contact form emails submitted through Squarespace keep grouping up and I miss one or 2.

I believe it is because the emails that come into Gmail with the same subject which is why this is happening.

I know there is a thread conversation tick box in Gmail to stop that but is there any other way of stopping this? some kind of code?

• 1 year later...

Hello fellow Squarespace enthusiasts 🙃

Hope all is well with you 🙌

Wondering if someone could help... 

Having an issue with my form submissions coming through on the same gmail thread. 

Previously I sourced some Java Script code that changed the time stamp which has now stopped working... 

I understand SS has made a few changes to the form recently... 

Would anyone have any suggestions? Or a solution? 

Thanks, 

Huxley 🙂

Please post the URL for a page on your site where we can see your issue.

A link to the backend of the your site won’t work for us, i.e. a url that contains /config/.

Please set up a site-wide password, if your site is not public and you've not already done so.

Post the password here.

Adding a site-wide password does not allow anyone to alter your site. It only allows those with the password to see your site.

Please read the site-wide password and how to share a link documentation to understand how they work.

We can then take a look at your issue.

You may find How to post a forum question post useful.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

All of them.

For example - If three customers send an enquiry through the contact form within 60 minutes of each other they appear in the same email chain on gmail. 

Which makes in confusing when it comes to replying. 

Hopefully this makes sense 🙂

Turning off email threading wouldn't be an option sadly. 

Issue is discussed in this thread - 

I understand the problem.

What I'm trying to get to is a page with some code on it that I can see not working.

I picked a page with a from and didn't find any code that is trying to alter it.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 7 months later...

I have had the same problem. (And a google search suggests many others as well.) I have asked SquareSpace on several occasions as this is a really inconvenient problem for small business owners who get inquiries from potential customers through their website, which seems like one of SquareSpace's main market segments.

The workaround: Create a new form. Don't delete the "subject" line. When a user makes a form submission, the text that they enter in the subject line will be included in the subject line of the email you get to your gmail account. So unless you get multiple form submissions with identical text in the 'subject' box, gmail will recognize them as separate email threads and won't merge them.

For example, if you didn't have a 'subject' line in the form and three people submitted inquiries on the same day about your dog grooming business, you would get ONE email thread with three separate emails from three separate people. If you have a subject line, you'll probably get three separate emails in three separate threads, one saying "New Inquiry - Groom my dog", another "New Inquiry - Dog grooming request", and a third "New Inquiry - Are you available?". Of course, if you happen to get two people who both send inquiries on the same day and enter the exact same text in the 'subject line, you'll still have the problem with their messages getting grouped into one thread. But this workaround helps reduce how often it happens. It also explains why every SquareSpace user isn't up in arms about this and how annoying it is...only ones who created forms and removed the subject line field.

If anyone finds a way to use this workaround to permanently solve the problem, do let me know! If there was a way to automatically include a date and time stamp in the subject line, for example.

I have had the same problem. (And a google search suggests many others as well.) I have asked SquareSpace on several occasions as this is a really inconvenient problem for small business owners who get inquiries from potential customers through their website, which seems like one of SquareSpace's main market segments.

The workaround: Create a new form. Don't delete the "subject" line. When a user makes a form submission, the text that they enter in the subject line will be included in the subject line of the email you get to your gmail account. So unless you get multiple form submissions with identical text in the 'subject' box, gmail will recognize them as separate email threads and won't merge them.

For example, if you didn't have a 'subject' line in the form and three people submitted inquiries on the same day about your dog grooming business, you would get ONE email thread with three separate emails from three separate people. If you have a subject line, you'll probably get three separate emails in three separate threads, one saying "New Inquiry - Groom my dog", another "New Inquiry - Dog grooming request", and a third "New Inquiry - Are you available?". Of course, if you happen to get two people who both send inquiries on the same day and enter the exact same text in the 'subject line, you'll still have the problem with their messages getting grouped into one thread. But this workaround helps reduce how often it happens. It also explains why every SquareSpace user isn't up in arms about this and how annoying it is...only ones who created forms and removed the subject line field.

If anyone finds a way to use this workaround to permanently solve the problem, do let me know! If there was a way to automatically include a date and time stamp in the subject line, for example.