Guidance for Content Organization using Categories and Tags for Bible Reference Site In Light of SEO Indexing

Hi there, I just got my first SS site up for my wife and about to start on mine, which will include an array of categories/topics  and tags (I am about to purchase another paid subscription)

After alot of reading, it seems like limiting categories and tags is best for SEO according to this article

My site will have Blog Posts, Podcast, and other Media that I would like to be able to filter by Category/Topic/Theme but as well as by Bible Reference, like book of bible + chapter, i.e , Psalm 50, or John 15, etc.  

I want to organize my site as best as I can from the beginning.

Examples Posts

• Post written on Psalms 42-46 with each Psalm tagged (i.e. #psalm 42 , #psalm46, etc. in addition to a some more metadata and topics or themes such as #book2 , #psalmsofkorah #refuge 
  • Many posts will just be on one passage, but include a a few themes

My Goal: to strike a balance between well organized easily findable content + SEO. A few questions in light of this

(1) Organizing

• How many Categories should a post have? Only 1? More than one?
  • Should I have a tag for each reference, which would including two elements, "book of bible + chapter"?
  • What are pros/cons to organizing "Media" within a Media page as opposed to using the "Blog" area and inserting the media within a new post? 
  • I liked what I saw regarding a 3rd party plugin "Universal Filter" and can see that that would be very helpful for organizing content on the site. I am not familiar with plugins, is this encouraged, dangerous, etc.?
  • Pros/Cons to using only tags? Are Categories necessary? If I was to only use tags, are there SS functionality limitations that I am not aware of yet (very new user).

(2) SEO

• Is it recommended to hide from search engines "All tag pages in this collection" option?
  • Is it recommended to have fewer categories but more tags? Or does it really not matter if "hide from search engines" its used correctly?

Really appreciate any guidance or direction. 

Thanks so much everyone.

• Replies 1
  • Views 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"My site will have Blog Posts, Podcast, and other Media that I would like to be able to filter by Category/Topic/Theme but as well as by Bible Reference, like book of bible + chapter, i.e , Psalm 50, or John 15, etc.  "

Firrst part can be done with an archive block filtered by category,  and or tags, second can be done by seach engine block. The search enging looks for blog content not blog title. 

I filter a lot of posts using an archive block with categories/subjects. Just click on blog. 

my random views

Edited by derricksrandomviews