How to build a news aggregator website (rss through iframes? javascript?)

I have recently tried embedding my rss iframes from a 3rd party site that I use and insert it successfully into my website, but everytime I attempt to adjust the height, and set it to stack on another iframe or any other content, it adds scrollbars when responsive to mobile device sizes. I end up researching if i can auto adjust height with css, javascript, or in the iframe itself, but now I find out I may not be able to, due to cross-domain? Apologies for the tangent here...but it has been a long month researching this haha.

Question is, if I can't use iframes to build multiple layers of iframes in my news aggregator website, then how do I build a good news aggregator website in squarespace? I am trying to build a one stop shop for all news on my subject, so it will have articles sourced from other locations, youtube videos, ticker information, etc. Examples would be like yahoo, cnn, drudge report, etc. Any ideas of how to build this? I don't think templates get me very far, and those are more geared towards original content, instead of aggregation.

I also don't want to go to wordpress! I love the interface and ease of squarespace, plus when I dig into wordpress, it looks like I have to pay for so much from templates, to plugins, etc...So is it possible to handle rss feeds from a 3rd party (i pay for) and embed or somehow easily layout them in squarespace? Thanks for the help and guidance!!

P.S. I am very much a beginner at CSS and HTML, but I am willing to learn and research any advice given!

iframe's as you've discovered are difficult to work with.

I don't have a specific solution to recommend. If I were to approach this I'd probably start with researching if there is a JavaScript aggregator that can be included in my site. Hopefully it would have some facility to control the presentation of items so you can integrate it with the look of your site.

Let us know if you find anything.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Thanks for following up with me on this issue. I get the feeling like you said that JavaScript may be needed, but I just barely understand what is happening with css and html! Haha I have looked into RSS.app and elink, but RSS is one that is difficult to work with. I can import via JavaScript, so maybe I can try that instead, but I still trials of that I wasn't able to get their links to upload easily. I cns try it out though again. 

Any other suggestions or opinions on the best direction? Any help is appreciated!!

I have some ideas rolling around in my head that I'd like to try out with your iframes. I can't promise any solutions but if I make any worthwhile discoveries I can pass them on.

Please post the URL for a page on your site where we can see your issue.

If your site is not public please set up a site-wide password, if you've not already done so.

Post the password here.

Adding a site-wide password does not allow anyone to alter your site. It only allows those with the password to see your site. Please read the documentation at the link provided to understand how it works.

Please read the documentation at the link provided on how to share a link to your site to understand how it works. A link to the backend of the your site won’t work for us, i.e. a url that contains /config/.

We can then take a look at your issue.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 1 year later...