Feedback on "Dear Graduate" site

Site URL: http://deargraduatebook.com

Hi, all...I co-wrote and published a book in March called "Dear Graduate." It was designed as a gift for graduates of any age. Instead of asking, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" it asks, "What will you do when you group up?"

We've received great feedback on the book, finding it strikes a nerve with a lot of people...in a good way. We're also distributing to a handful indie booksellers around the US. 

I do marketing for a living and we acquired 6,800 visitors to the site. We converted many, but without knowing why people didn't buy the book, I'm trying to figure that out. Certainly some of it is that the book isn't for them (or doesn't move them), the price point, having to pay shipping, not being from a known publisher, etc. 

Was curious if the Squarespace community might take a look and let me know if there is anything that you find is a turn-off or that wouldn't make you want to buy the book. We posted the full book online, as it really needs a way to be seen and read before buying. I know that helped sell books as well as likely inhibit others from purchasing it. 

Appreciate any and all thoughts...and congratulations to all the graduates out there! 

Charlie 

37 minutes ago, CharlesMc said:

We converted many, but without knowing why people didn't buy the book, I'm trying to figure that out.

Great looking site (and book) but as a visitor from the 🇬🇧 UK, it was disappointing to see that it only ships to the US 🙂

It also wasn't obvious that scrolling down past the 1 book, 2 books, 5 books section led to alternative purchase options that weren't just greater quantities.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

57 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

Great looking site (and book) but as a visitor from the 🇬🇧 UK, it was disappointing to see that it only ships to the US 🙂

It also wasn't obvious that scrolling down past the 1 book, 2 books, 5 books section led to alternative purchase options that weren't just greater quantities.

Thanks for your comment! We're working on being able to ship anywhere in the world. We did have visitors to the site from outside the US, but as we just launched the book in March it was tricky to be able to ship everywhere right at first. Will have it functioning soon, though! -Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

The website looks great!! And congratulations on the book and your success to date 🙂

A few observations, not even suggestions, but may be worth mentioning if you are looking to optimize for conversion: 

The Journal Page - This isn't readily clear to me that this is meant to take on the form of a blog. Perhaps from the nav, i might think this is a second offering (like a graduate journal) for purchase. Perhaps the format, title, or location in nav could be updated. 

Buy Now Page - I love the testimonial at the top but it takes up a lot of room above the fold. If i am ready to click the buy page, I might prefer to see the purchase options right away, without having to scroll or question if I am in the right place.

For the nav, i wonder if you could clean it up a bit so you can keep it all on one line. Perhaps you could have home, buy online, and buy in store, and reviews.  Not necessary, but if it was me personally, I would consider moving contact to the footer.  I might also consider moving journal to the footer, and adding content from the journal to other pages using the summary block. 

Again, these are just a few observations. Your website and product are beautiful - well done and congrats 🙂