Text formatting wrong?

Site URL: https://www.revoltinggays.com/hostile-forces

Hello! I'm, having a little trouble with not being able to reformat text

The client has been copying and pasting his text from word straight into squarespace and I've been going in and adding it back as plain text where needed (I know it's not best practice but he's in his 70s so I don't want to overcomplicate things for him!)

For some reason though some of the pages are in italic, even when I paste them as plain text, or copy them into a new text block. Squarespace doesn't seem to think that the text is italic so I'm a bit stuck.

Here's a link to one of the pages that it's happening on https://www.revoltinggays.com/hostile-forces

(please forgive how messy it is, it's very much a work in progress)

Any advice or ideas would be hugely appreciated!

• Replies 10
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never had good experiences with pasting directly from Word into website form fields.

Is your client using Word just to type in text or is he wanting to style the text?

If your client is going from Word to Squarespace and he's been doing it himself. He obviously knows how to create a text blocks. Can he bypass the Word step and work directly in SS?

If that isn't an option, is he up for handing the W documents over to you, then you deal with the issue of getting it in?

If your client wants to be more of a DIY perhaps he could learn to use learn a different word processor, one that doesn't munge things so much. I don't know which ones that would be. The problem is that Word Processors and web fields are fundamentally different beasts.

I just tried TextEdit on macOS and it did OK. The underline formatting was lost. But bold and italic came across. The size was not preserved, which makes sense.

1130750364_ScreenShot2022-06-04at1_27_34PM.png.300306ab112fc870ce1452e390c04bf5.png

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 1 year later...
59 minutes ago, kate_frances_designs said:

but the format options aren't showing

SS has several different text editors. Some like the text block editor are more full featured. Others offer fewer or virtually no options.

Without knowing which editor you are using (screenshot) we can't be of much help.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,  I am having the same issue. no matter what editor I am using: word or even a normal text editor. the text keeps defaulting to italic. I have deleted, and added new text blocks: still the same issue.  I have used the clear formatting button, and paste as plain text button, still the result defaults to italic.  It is very frustrating! spend the last 3 hours to find any solution online but could not.

Help please

Screenshot 2023-07-17 at 13.42.42.png

Edited by Danyah

I was using Paragraph 2, which was defined as normal Times roman, no additional formatting. Checked with global settings in Design/Site Styles/Fonts: all looked normal, no italics.  Now I had to resort to monospacing in the text editor 😞

• 3 months later...

Every single time I copy any text and paste it in a text box, it goes in as italic and bold. I thought they would have fixed it by now, but looks like the issue is still going on. Would love for Squarespace to fix this—it takes a lot of time reformatting clients text and making sure the original bolds and italics are correct.

23 hours ago, katharinebolin said:

Every single time I copy any text and paste it in a text box, it goes in as italic and bold. I thought they would have fixed it by now, but looks like the issue is still going on. Would love for Squarespace to fix this—it takes a lot of time reformatting clients text and making sure the original bolds and italics are correct.

Hi, please try copy and pasting as plain text, otherwise it will try and preserve and match your formatting, which often doesn't work out.

Please note SquareSpace doesn't monitor this forum for issues, this is a peer-to-peer forum to help others. Please contact SquareSpace if you wish to raise an issue with functionality of the platform. https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

-------- > 👆 <---------- Please quote or @ me when replying, or I won't get a notification 

Melody | Squarespace Website Developer
e: melody@melodylee.tech

💻 Can't figure something out and want to learn? 💁‍♀️ 1-2-1 Squarespace session 
👩‍💻 Need some customisation for a design? 💁‍♀️ Custom Code help
 Did I help? 💁‍♀️ I like coffee

On 7/17/2023 at 11:41 AM, Danyah said:

Hello,  I am having the same issue. no matter what editor I am using: word or even a normal text editor. the text keeps defaulting to italic. I have deleted, and added new text blocks: still the same issue.  I have used the clear formatting button, and paste as plain text button, still the result defaults to italic.  It is very frustrating! spend the last 3 hours to find any solution online but could not.

Help please

Screenshot 2023-07-17 at 13.42.42.png

Have you tried selecting the text, then toggle Italic? It doesn't work by just selecting the text block, need to select the text.

-------- > 👆 <---------- Please quote or @ me when replying, or I won't get a notification 

Melody | Squarespace Website Developer
e: melody@melodylee.tech

💻 Can't figure something out and want to learn? 💁‍♀️ 1-2-1 Squarespace session 
👩‍💻 Need some customisation for a design? 💁‍♀️ Custom Code help
 Did I help? 💁‍♀️ I like coffee