Critical Bug: Can No Longer Edit Text

Go to solution Solved by shrn,

Description

Editing any text on the website editor is no longer possible.

Steps to Reproduce

On any page, in any text area, start editing the text. After typing a couple words, it will lose focus, and you have to re-click into the text area to start editing it again.

Severity

This is a critically severe bug that is stopping me from being able to work on my site.

Other Observations

At some point in the last 12-ish hours (the night/morning between May 30/31) it seems the website editor was updated and now has this bug. I was using the editor fine up until this point. I have tried multiple different computers and multiple browsers (Chrome and Edge). The problem is occurring everywhere.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

I thought I was going absolutely crazy, but I can confirm this bug.

It's happened more recently within the last 12 hours though - I was editing my site just fine this morning. This bug has cropped up within the last 7-8 hours maximum.

I also tested multiple browsers (Chrome, Firefox) and even completely disconnected and reconnected my keyboard a couple of times to ensure it wasn't a hardware failure. It's definitely on Squarespace's end.

Things of note: if you're constantly inputting keys, the text box remains active for typing. It only kicks you out and behaves as if you clicked off the text box after a period of about 0.5-1 second delay of no input. You can replicate this by mashing any keys you like and the box should stay active. Focus on typing actual words however and you'll inevitably delay for long enough for the text box to become inactive and kick you out.

Edit: Contacted support via live chat and notified them of the issue there, as well. I suspect it will still be a couple of hours at minimum for the engineers to identify what this issue is and how many are hit by it, but at the very least I've had some confirmation that there's a team aware of it and compiling information.

Edited by Airyll
Update

Hello all!

Whenever I try and edit a text section the cursor is basically "ejected" from the field while I am trying to edit.

I have tried starting over, logging out and logging in, clearing browser cache, restarting computer, changed browser, different domain/site, and nothing seems to fix this problem. Also, no custom code or css. Cannot replicate the problem on godaddy or wix. 

I'm totally open to suggestions!

Thanks!

Phil

Edited by Phil1570047712
1 hour ago, Airyll said:

Edit: Contacted support via live chat and notified them of the issue there, as well. I suspect it will still be a couple of hours at minimum for the engineers to identify what this issue is and how many are hit by it, but at the very least I've had some confirmation that there's a team aware of it and compiling information.

Thank you for taking action and keeping us updated on what you know!

If you monitor these forums, Squarespace, I highly encourage you to implement better QA into your software development lifecycle so that your customers do not have these critical issue block their business operations!

• Solution

From support:

Thank you for reporting this behavior. I can confirm this is related to an issue with editing text blocks on our end. Our Engineering team is aware of this issue, and they’re currently working towards a fix. We’re unable to guarantee a follow-up or offer an ETA for resolution, but I can assure you that we’re working to have this resolved as soon as possible.