MY URL is all messed up on my product pages

Site URL: https://www.earthenpeople.com/

Hello, 

I have a site which has various products for sale. I just tried to change the URL of one of the product pages by going into the product itself and click edit, then scrolling down to marketing, and clicking on the SEO and URL header and changing it on there. Anyway this went wrong and all of a sudden the original link in my online shop wouldn't bring me back to that page anymore, only my homepage. So I deleted that old product again, added it again from scratch and it worked. 

However I think it must be something to do with the fact that when I edited this template, from Squarespace it was for an online clothing store template, so some of the old urls are still on there, and then I have been duplication the products, so how do I get to change my URL breadcrumb display. 

At the moment my product URLS typically display something like this. Even though im not selling a pair of 'jacky trousers'

https://www.earthenpeople.com/shop/p/jacky-trousers-6g263-sasdd-txyzm-lwh29-axkjd-9pd9c-ggez7-snjtf

The one that I just created today from scratch works perfectly, because I created it from scratch, no duplication. See below:

https://www.earthenpeople.com/shop/p/indian-lampshades-indigo-collection

Please help, how do I fix all my other products that typically have a random combination of letters and numbers and say the word 'jacky trousers' in there. Please see picture attached.

Thanks Charlotte

Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 1.50.58 pm.png

Edited by earthenpeople
typo
  • Replies 1
  • Views 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, earthenpeople said:

At the moment my product URLS typically display something like this. Even though i'm not selling a pair of 'jacky trousers'

/shop/p/jacky-trousers-6g263-sasdd-txyzm-lwh29-axkjd-9pd9c-ggez7-snjtf

When you duplicate a product, the new product will inherit the details of the original product, including the product URL. As you mentioned, Squarespace appends a sequence of characters to the URL of the duplicated product to ensure the URL is unique.

You can amend the URL, as you described above. Whilst editing the duplicated product, click the Marketing shortcut on the left then click EDIT in the SEO and URL tab and manually edit the URL. When the URL is correct you should click SAVE to save the duplicated product.

If you have already created the duplicated product and are returning to edit the product's URL then it is normal at this point to see an error in the preview window after clicking save. This is because the old URL no longer exists and so the product cannot be previewed using the old URL. However, this shouldn't cause any other issues as you should be able to view the product using the new URL. 

If this doesn't work correctly for you, I recommend reaching out to Squarespace Customer Care for assistance. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.