Displaying Product as Sold Out

• 2 months later...

Site URL: https://martinanoble.com

Hello,

I am reposting the same question that someone asked a few months back that I would like to know how to do for a clients website. Here it is

"Hi Everyone, 

I am trying to display the words "Sold Out" before clicking on the actual product. Currently "Sold Out" is only visible when you click on the product and then click on the variant drop down. Does anyone know how I can make it so that the product status shows from the products page? "

Thank you!!!

SS doesn't provide this behaviour by default.

It might be possible to create some custom JavaScript code to do this but I'm not aware of anyone who has created such code.

For the product detail page access to the needed data is already buried in the page. I would think the proper implementation would be to scan the data and then add some text to the page warning the site visitor that some variants are sold out. Telling them the product is sold out when there are some variants available would be a mistake I think.

SS does not expose the needed data on the product listing page. Again with some custom JavaScript it may be possible to access the needed data and then add a similar warning about some variants not available.

If no code exists then you would need to hire a consultant who can develop code. First they would have to determine if it is even possible.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

On 8/6/2022 at 12:53 AM, blix said:

I am trying to display the words "Sold Out" before clicking on the actual product. Currently "Sold Out" is only visible when you click on the product

On Squarespace 7.1, Sold Out labels will automatically be displayed on both store pages and product details pages when products do not have variant options.

On the site you quoted, I can see the label on the product page, but you are currently using a very light grey (#fcfaf9) to display product metadata which makes it very difficult to see. I've darkened the label slightly in this screenshot so you can see it below the product title:

image.thumb.png.bc0af10d873ed07f74be97d158bb3418.png

You can change the colour in the Styles panel.

When products have variants, stock levels will be specific to individual variants, so customers will need to click into the variant option to see which variants are in stock like this (screenshot from a different site):

image.png.b2b18f1d27b9962c984dc345947e7f0c.png

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, AltitudeEngraving said:

I have version 7.1 but i'm only seeing sold out labels on my product details pages and NOT my store page.  How can I fix this?

Please post the URL for a page on your site where we can see your issue.

If your site is not public please set up a site-wide password, if you've not already done so.

Post the password here.

Adding a site-wide password does not allow anyone to alter your site. It only allows those with the password to see your site. Please read the documentation at the link provided to understand how it works.

Please read the documentation at the link provided on how to share a link to your site to understand how it works. A link to the backend of the your site won’t work for us, i.e. a url that contains /config/.

We can then take a look at your issue.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

3 hours ago, AltitudeEngraving said:

I have version 7.1 but i'm only seeing sold out labels on my product details pages and NOT my store page.  How can I fix this?

The Sold Out text is on the product listing page but it is the same color as the background.

You can change the color of the Status text.

13761535_ScreenShot2022-11-06at1_30_33PM.thumb.png.26f07b44145278b6b9c111fa72924a0f.png