How to Delete Old Files on Squarespace

Site URL: https://roamerbatteries.com/shop/p/12v200ah

Hello,

I was hoping you might be able to help. I am trying to delete files off my Squarespace account but it won't let me and it also won't let me change the name of them. The only way I can figure to view them is through the links editor. There is a lot of files that need deleting. I will attach a screenshot. Is there an easy way to do this? It's very important as the old files are showing up in Google search.

Thank you,

Holly

Screenshot 2022-05-24 at 10.30.37.png

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Roamer said:

I am trying to delete files off my Squarespace account but it won't let me and it also won't let me change the name of them. The only way I can figure to view them is through the links editor. There is a lot of files that need deleting. I will attach a screenshot. Is there an easy way to do this?

This is currently the only way to rename or delete files that you have added though the Link Editor, such as PDFs.

You can delete any file by clicking on the three dots and choosing Delete but there isn't a way to select and delete multiple files yet, and as you found, all files are discoverable.

image.thumb.png.fd39ca1155fa7db874e40682bad382e2.png

Was this post helpful? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

1 minute ago, Roamer said:

Every time I save they still appear?!

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean? When you say the file still appears, are you talking about in Google search results, or in the Link Editor?

Some things to note:

• When you delete a file from your site, it is not deleted immediately. It remains on the content delivery network (CDN) server for between 8 and 38 days, after which it will be removed.
  • If you upload a file several times, each file is considered to be unique, even if it has the same filename. This means that if someone uploaded the file "Roamer Datasheet 100Max.pdf" 20 times, there will be 20 separate versions of this file that require deletion.

Does this help?

Was this post helpful? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 year later...

I also have this issue. When I try to delete a file, it sends me back to the edit page, without having deleted the file.  For instance, after I click "delete," my screen refreshes back to the "edit" page. I also cannot rename files, as the same issue occurs. 

Edited by Amy258

Hello, I would like to delete many pdf files I uploaded but I can't. Every time I click on "delete" (via the link editor), I got back to the edit page. 

I have a gif of the issue but I can't upload it (even if its size is under 48MB...).

I understand there is a 8 to 38 days delay for the files being deleted from the CDN. Is that why I can still see the files I'm trying to delete ?

2 hours ago, sdlr said:

I would like to delete many pdf files I uploaded but I can't. Every time I click on "delete" (via the link editor), I got back to the edit page. 

The CDN won't prevent you deleting a file manually. I recommend that you contact Squarespace directly about this by raising a ticket through Squarespace Customer Care. They'll be able to advise you.