Hosting custom font within website

Site URL: https://tkp-mfp-1989.squarespace.com/

Hello,

Apologies in advance for what will likely be a poor explanation of the issue I am experiencing. 

Long story short - contracted with a person on Fiverr to create clickable email signatures. I already provided him with the finished article in a jpeg format, which I was hoping he could slice and add the particular functionality to each section. 

I am told however, that my custom font needs to be uploaded to my squarespace site, and that I should send him a path link, as, "most e-mail engines don't support external font link". I can't even pretend to know what this means.

He provided me with a zip file, which he asked me to upload to the root domain > unzip it > send a folder link to him. 

I've been at this for ages, but I'm obviously not doing something right or correctly understanding the instructions. 

I'm about minded to say thank you and tell the fiverr gig guy to keep the money, as I've ran out of inspiration to get this working now. 

If this is even remotely similar to any  issue someone has had in the past, perhaps you can give me some advice. 

With kindest regards,

Michael

password (if anyone interested) - re8trActbu87rdeN - [still in development]

Edited by MMP_Kellas
added site password
  • Replies 4
  • Views 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

To upload font file to your site, access Home > Design > Custom CSS > Scroll down to bottom > Click Manage Custom Files > Click Upload > Select font file (extract zip file to get font file) > Upload > Then click file you just uploaded > SS will paste font file url in the box above it.

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

Thanks Tuanphan. I did manage to get my font on my site without any issue, the issue seems to be, that despite me being able to send this - https://static1.squarespace.com/static/61963e3f0959985402cd8801/t/628b75c7efe7ce00a6e593fa/1653306824538/Qualy.ttf - what I think he really needed was a link to a .css file, hosted within the site. This is the zip file which he wanted me to extract in Squarespace, which I can't do, nor can I upload the folder as a whole. 

Can't fault the guy, he is trying to help me, but I'm completely lost.

Screenshot 2022-05-24 at 10.16.39.png

Screenshot 2022-05-24 at 10.21.11.png

Can you take a screenshot of all files inside "fonts" folder?

--

You are using SS 7.0, you can upload both files/folders via Dev Mode. However, I haven't used Dev Mode so I'm not sure where to upload it. @creedon Do you know this? Thank you.

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

Wait this is a v7.1. Right? So Developer Mode won't help as that is v7.0 only.

As far a DM goes. Most folks really don't want to be turning it on unless you understand the full consequences of that act. One being your site template becomes disconnected from SS's update process. Also there is the big downside of turning it off again later and potentially destroying your site. Again you have to understand the consequences of that act.

Now once DM is enabled you've got to get to grips with git. The method to move files up to the server.

SS is not like many of the older ways of getting a website going which involved uploading files to servers in your user directory. SS has basically removed that from the equation. Even DM is a restricted form of the old ways of doing things.

I'm a bit concerned with the idea of unzipping a file from someone into my root directory. That just sounds like a formula for bad things to happen. Not that you can do it with SS. It's just a general concern.

As tuanphan pointed out there are ways to get font files onto an SS site. Other types of files as well using the Link page trick. But those files will not be at the root of a site. So if this code depends on that being the case it isn't going to work.

I'm not understanding the effect you are trying to achieve. If I could see an example of it I might be able to provide more useful information.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.