Images load in low resolution in lightbox

Site URL: https://www.oevis.se/exterior

Hi,
Many of the images on my website (and also several other squarespace websites I have visited recently) have blurry / low res images when you open them in lightbox. On my website it also applies to the thumbnails in the gallery block. This problem only seems to apply to gallery blocks and not galleries, but the lightbox issue affects both. 

It does not apply to all images, but 30-50%. These are all images uploaded in high resolution that have always loaded perfectly fine before, so there's no fault on my end. Please do not suggest that I try resizing and re-uploading anything as these images used to load perfectly, and as I already tried that. 

This issue has been present on 3 different computers from where I have accessed my website. 

I have contacted squarespace support, but unless more people acknowledge this problem, I doubt they will solve it. Go to your own website and see for yourselves. 

53 minutes ago, Olle3000 said:

Many of the images on my website (and also several other squarespace websites I have visited recently) have blurry / low res images when you open them in lightbox.

If you're experiencing an issue with the quality of your images then you've done the right thing by reporting it to Customer Care. Let us know what they say.

When I viewed the images on a 5K display they looked great, both from within the lightbox and when viewed directly using the Content Delivery Network (CDN) URL.

Of course my opinion may not help because images are served from the data center closest to you, so if there is a fault with your nearest datacentre, it may not affect me in a another part of the world. Also, I haven't had the privilege of seeing the original image files so it's difficult for me to provide a comparison.

It is worth noting that Squarespace does compress images so you will be viewing a resized (maximum of 2500 pixels wide) and re-encoded version of your original images and not an exact copy.

I hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Hi,
Thanks for your reply,

I am aware of the compression / resizing, it has never been a problem before. 

The images that are blurry (again maybe 30-50% of them) are blurry enough that you would undoubtably notice it regardless if you've seen them before or not, if this bug is present when viewing on your device. 

However, when rightclicking a blurry low res image and opening it in a new tab, it's crispy / high res. This is a bug that loads a lower than usual resolution of the images in lightboxes. 

As far as I understand, squarespace creates about 6-7 different resolutions of the images we upload, and serve the appropriate resolution to us based on the amount of pixels available for each display /monitor / frame. This is what's currently bugged: it's choosing a lower resolution version than what is appropriate for some images. 

1 hour ago, Olle3000 said:

As far as I understand, squarespace creates about 6-7 different resolutions of the images we upload, and serve the appropriate resolution to us based on the amount of pixels available for each display /monitor / frame. This is what's currently bugged: it's choosing a lower resolution version than what is appropriate for some images. 

It is showing the 2500px version to me and so looks fine. I’ll be interested to hear how you get on with support. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

29 minutes ago, derricksrandomviews said:

Is this happening with more than one browser? Chrome has been giving me some strange problems as of late, so that is why I ask. 

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion,

Yes, I have the same problem on Chrome and Edge on windows, and on chrome on Android.