Custom User-Populated Events List

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

I'm working on a site for a client who is doing a beer/wine week style series of events, so the events list is going to be the most important element of the site. I'm hoping it's possible to code in a custom events page that's populated by info that the participating restaurants will input themselves. So, ideally, the process would go something like this:

Participating restaurant pays a one-time fee to join --> gains access to a secure page where there's a form for them to upload all the content, info, logos, pictures --> content they upload automatically appears on a public events list page.

I'm struggling to figure out where to begin. Does anyone know if this is possible or have any insights? Thanks!

• Solution
1 hour ago, gwdyson said:

I'm hoping it's possible to code in a custom events page that's populated by info that the participating restaurants will input themselves.

This isn't something that you can do natively on Squarespace because the permissions model isn't granular enough. If you give someone an account with permissions to edit the Squarespace they can edit/delete everything on the site; you cannot allow them access to a single page or item.

You'll need to use a different platform to store the event information.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2022 at 12:49 PM, paul2009 said:

This isn't something that you can do natively on Squarespace because the permissions model isn't granular enough

Makes sense. I was hoping there might be a way to code in populating a page's content through a form or something, so the users wouldn't have to have editing permission - but I guess that's not possible. Thanks!

24 minutes ago, gwdyson said:

I was hoping there might be a way to code in populating a page's content through a form or something, so the users wouldn't have to have editing permission - but I guess that's not possible.

Correct. It isn't possible.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 months later...

not native to Square Space, but we use Tockify for this and embedded the calendar. it provides an option for user submitted events and you can choose whether this is something anyone can do, or only specific people. Probably too late for the site you were working on but might be useful for future reference. 

Example here: https://www.leithforever.org/events. ANyone who wants to submit an event can just click the button at the top right of the calendar to be taken to the form. 

Also, might be worth asking squarespace for this integration - I contacted them about this and their response was pretty much in line with the above but with this added on - 

"All that said - while we don't currently offer that feature, I would be happy to suggest it to our development team. We can't guarantee implementation of every suggestion, but customer feedback is how we continue to grow and improve our platform so we appreciate your input."

The more people who ask the more likely it is to happen....

Edited by Leith4Ever