Help! How to find the CNAME host/alias code whilst transferring

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: http://www.melthammoor.org

- How to find the CNAME host/alias code - 

Aargh! Can anyone help in the few hours before Squarespace helpdesk opens? Currently my client's site is down.

I'm transferring a domain to Squarespace from 123-reg, began process on Friday and waiting, but 123 said it can take up to a week.

So I thought, maybe whilst waiting I can at least connect the site on 123 to the Squarespace site so at least the new site goes live. But without doing the 'connect' process on Squarespace, I can't see the unique code for host/alias referred to in the guide. And with just the other @ and www records it won't connect. Is there any way to find that code?

And I am having trouble even setting it back to their old site as my screenshot of the previous DNS settings as it chopped off the end of the www record. So now the site is down 😱

I also have to make sure I don't break their email - so far all fine. I've not touched the records related to that, and they already automatically appeared on Squarespace seeming ready for launch.

No matter how many sites I launch this mysterious part really stresses me out!

Screenshot 2022-05-16 at 07.26.05.png

Edited by JoelleM
Clearer title
  • JoelleM changed the title to Help! How to find the CNAME host/alias code whilst transferring
  • Solution
3 hours ago, JoelleM said:

Aargh! Currently my client's site is down. I'm transferring a domain to Squarespace from 123-reg, began process on Friday and waiting, but 123 said it can take up to a week.

So I thought, maybe whilst waiting I can at least connect the site on 123 to the Squarespace site so at least the new site goes live. But without doing the 'connect' process on Squarespace, I can't see the unique code for host/alias referred to in the guide.

Hey @JoelleM

Firstly, the site is still up and running on School Jotter 🙂 

Regarding the process of connecting the domain name, this is only possible if you click Connect, as this doesn't just create the verification code, it also makes changes on the backend that allow it to connect. Without these changes, the domain cannot be connected. That said, as you've already initiated the transfer, I recommend that you leave the old site running until the domain has transferred and you have full control of the domain.

As an aside, it may be worth editing the TTL values now for a seamless switchover later.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Ah thank you Paul! That's really helpful.

Yes I managed to half remember / half guess what the end of the old CNAME was and get it connected back to the old site, phew.

I don't think I can manually change the TTL within 123-reg unfortunately.

I now realised I should have connected it first before initiating the transfer. The last few sites I've done were all .co.uk and transferred within an afternoon.

*Channelling patience*