Markdown block formatting breaks after edit on Squarespace iOS app

Site URL: https://nathancashion.com/blog/2018/5/the-4-causes-of-low-back-pain

I've had an issue occur a few times now.

If I edit a Markdown block while using the Squarespace app for iOS, the markdown gets changed.

It appears that the block will add in backslashes before any markdown formatting syntax, e.g.

### Disc
Likely the most common cause of back pain in our modern age, *degenerative disc disease* or *discogenic low back pain* is attributed to 40 percent of low back pain cases.

will be converted to:

### Disc Likely the most common source of back pain in our modern age, \\\*degenerative disc disease\\\* or \\\*discogenic low back pain\\\* is attributed to 40 percent of low back pain cases.

These added characters then show in the rendered page, and all paragraph breaks are removed. (See attached screenshot. I've fixed the live blog post, so you can see the correct formatting by visiting the link above.)

If I try to fix it by editing on iOS, it only makes it worse. In fact, it will add backslashes to the backslashes.

I can only correct the problem by editing on the web, completely replacing the text in the Markdown block.

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 2.20.30 PM.png

Edited by nathan
Corrected link.
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've just now realized that I don't even have to edit the Markdown block. Just tapping on the block brings up the overlay with tabs for Preview and Markdown. On the first tap, it already adds the backslashes. If I then tap on the Markdown tab, it adds another pair of slashes.

If I switch back and forth, it will remain as is. But, if I tap out of the Markdown block and then come back to it, the pattern repeats. In my test, I just ended up with each instance of Markdown syntax being surrounded by about 10 backslashes.