Missing Billing Information on Orders of 0$

Site URL: http://www.enjoysnacks

We have started using discount codes in our store for expos and promotional events. I have noticed that customer information (billing information) is missing for those orders whose order total is $0. Apparently, Squarespace thinks that shipping information and billing information is the same thing and that customer information for orders of $0 is not necessary.

From a marketing perspective, not collecting the information of people placing orders is questionable. Many of our products are ordered as gifts so the billing and shipping information are different. Also, this means that only one email notification is sent out to just the recipient. This means that the person who placed the order is out of the loop for their order.

I'm surprised that no one else has encountered this error. I have never seen an e-commerce system not collect the information of the person placing the order.

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 9.33.28 AM.png

7 minutes ago, enjoysnacks808 said:

I have noticed that customer information (billing information) is missing for those orders whose order total is $0. Apparently, Squarespace thinks that shipping information and billing information is the same thing and that customer information for orders of $0 is not necessary.

This is correct. Customers cannot enter billing information if the order value is $0, but shipping (or pickup) information will be required and should be included in the order information.

To explain in more detail, orders for physical goods, regardless of the value will require shipping or pickup information in the "2. Order Options" section of the checkout. The only circumstances when this wouldn't be required is if the products were Services (instead of Physical goods) as these don't require shipping.

If an order does not require payment, the customer will not be able to provide payment information in the "3. Payment" section of the checkout. They click Continue without providing a name, address or payment information as it is not considered necessary.

I hope this helps to explain what should happen. However, if this is not your experience then I recommend you get in touch with Squarespace Customer Care.

Did this answer help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 11 months later...

I also see this as a problem.

In the customer section and in the associated link to mailchimp, the name of the buyer is empty. So looking at customers this is a email address and empty name. That's really weird to have in the customer list.

Why is the shipping address Name not used in this case instead of the billing name. I suppose you could ship it it to someone else. In which case, why does squarespace not at least use the billing form as a way to collect the actual user. Right now I just have incomplete user data.