Banner videos not displaying on mobile

Site URL: http://www.palpable-media.com

Please please help:  VIDEO BANNERS NOT DISPLAYING AND CUSTOMER SERVICE NOT HELPING

Problem:

• I paid A LOT of money to license expensive video for my site banners. BUT THEY DISAPPEAR in mobile!!! 
  • the mobile site displays lots of EMPTY SPACE on mobile where there should be video content
  • This is business critical: Part of our work is events and tech so we need to SHOW the work!!

Can someone please please help??

Whenever I contact customer service I get lame excuses, and irrelevant links.  I feel like if they cant give me a functional site I want a discount because this is hurting my business!!!  

We already went over-budget on the website and no clients yet so I cant really afford to spend more to get someone external to fix it.... 

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS!!! 

p.s. WTF Squarespace?  THIS IS NOT A NEW PROBLEM - Stop blaming this on Vimeo, youtube: you clearly cant seem to fix this - Ive seen posts that go back years.  This is bad. And your customer service is THE WORST.

GoDaddy has the BEST customer service, people who answer the phones and fix problems asap.  This whole process has been a nightmare.

• 4 months later...

i have the same problem, they say upload an mobile image fallback but guess what, that doesn't display also...

this is crap....

i'll switch to wix if this is not resolved in one month.

i read another topic here about that that was closed after 2 years with no solution by an squarespace admin...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I've developed a fix for this issue.

There is indeed a Squarespace issue that stops background videos from playing on mobile.

My fix for this issue doesn't require you to do anything differently, you still paste your video URL into the background video field as normal.  Here's a demo - 

I think this fix will provide real value to Squarespace website owners, so I'm going to start offering it as a plugin for £40, but before I start writing instructions and setting up the product I just wanted to gauge interest.  I will also be offering it to my existing Squarespace clients.

The plugin has some stipulations:

• You must be using Squarespace 7.1 (but if there's enough interest I'll adapt it to work on 7.0 as well)
  • You must have the business plan or higher to be able to paste the custom code for this fix
  • You must be using a paid Vimeo account, not Youtube. Most people should be doing this anyway because Youtube videos have youtube stuff all over them resulting in a poor user experience, and a paid Vimeo account is required for background videos
  • On iOS there's a feature that stops autoplay videos if the device is in low-power mode.

Please let me know if you're interested, thanks!

Andrew Moore
Digital Freelancer & Squarespace Expert of 6+ years

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/20/2021 at 7:25 PM, digitalfreelancer said:

There is indeed a Squarespace issue that stops background videos from playing on mobile.

My fix for this issue doesn't require you to do anything differently, you still paste your video URL into the background video field as normal.  Here's a demo - 

I think this fix will provide real value to Squarespace website owners, so I'm going to start offering it as a plugin for £40, but before I start writing instructions and setting up the product I just wanted to gauge interest.  I will also be offering it to my existing Squarespace clients.

• You must be using Squarespace 7.1 (but if there's enough interest I'll adapt it to work on 7.0 as well)
  • You must have the business plan or higher to be able to paste the custom code for this fix
  • You must be using a paid Vimeo account, not Youtube. Most people should be doing this anyway because Youtube videos have youtube stuff all over them resulting in a poor user experience, and a paid Vimeo account is required for background videos
  • On iOS there's a feature that stops autoplay videos if the device is in low-power mode.

Andrew Moore

Hi Andrew, I am interested in having the plugin for our website. Can you help me out?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2021 at 5:25 AM, digitalfreelancer said:

Andrew Moore

HI Andrew, I would also like this fix, please could you send it to me? Thanks

On 1/20/2021 at 1:25 PM, digitalfreelancer said:

Andrew Moore

@digitalfreelancer I'm interested in this fix as well please!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 11:10 AM, digitalfreelancer said:

Hey @cbolger the plugin is available and works with your existing background videos unlike other plugins being offered. I'll send you a private message now, thanks.

Andrew

I am also using Andrew's plugin and can confirm that it does indeed work! Much to the relief of ourselves and our client. I would highly recommend contacting Andrew if you are having this issue.

Still very disappointed with Squarespace's apparent disregard for wanting to fix something that's clearly not only possible but a pretty basic bit of functionality. We will not be using Squarespace for any further sites after this experience.

On 9/15/2021 at 11:23 AM, Foxhandybread said:

Still very disappointed with Squarespace's apparent disregard for wanting to fix something that's clearly not only possible but a pretty basic bit of functionality.

Squarespace now allows you to upload a video directly to the background of a section in Squarespace 7.1. There's no need to use an external hosting service like Vimeo or YouTube, although these options aren't being removed.

The video backgrounds feature supports videos up to 60 seconds, up to 500MB, and in the formats MP4, M4V, and MOV upto 1080p. It appears to be a more resilient solution, especially on mobile.

Edited by paul2009
resolution

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Paul2009: Any chance Squarespace will fix this for 7.0 templates? 7.1 is truly awful and lacks any customization. I went through a lot of time and expense, opened a new Vimeo account just to have video banners (should be simple). Then after all that I find out it's not working on mobile and I have to use a fallback image for that! UGH! Beyond frustrated. It seems they've figured it out for 7.1, but I need this same fix for 7.0 Bedford template. I'm considering leaving the platform over this. Can anyone suggest a better platform? Wix? Better yet...please fix this problem in 7.0 templates, fast!

38 minutes ago, CDuMez said:

Any chance Squarespace will fix this for 7.0 templates?

This particular release is for 'sections'. These use the latest 7.1 functionality and so cannot be made available on 7.0.

I think it's fair to assume that other areas of the platform that use shared underlying technology (used on both 7.0 and 7.1) will be updated over time to support Squarespace-hosted video. For example, Video Blocks. However, there are no guarantees.

If you need background videos, I recommend using Squarespace 7.1. If it helps anyone else, I wouldn't recommend starting a new site in 2021 using a Bedford-family template. It's really old and whilst it has always been very popular, it is missing many of the features and flexibility that you'd expect to find. That said, there are millions of active 7.0 websites in use and so if you've already built a site on this platform, you'll be reassured to know that Squarespace confirmed that it will continue to be maintained and improved for many years to come.

Edited by paul2009
edited for clarity

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Thanks Paul2009. Version 7.1 really blows, IMHO. While 7.1 does have this one advantage of Squarespace-hosted video, it removes so much design control in other areas. I don't know if Squarespace lost a lot of design talent, or made a strategic decision to target people who just want to stick with the template. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2021 at 6:25 PM, digitalfreelancer said:

Andrew Moore

Hi @digitalfreelancer,

We are interested in the plugin that you mentioned in your post. 

Our website is: https://www.buildingpictures.pt/ 

Please contact us at: press@buildingpictures.pt

By the way, I read another comment about this topic from another member (@colin.irwin), and I was intrigued by this:

"Actually, it is controlled at OS level rather than browser level. Android and iOS have both blocked autoplay background video until recent releases. 

The attributes needed for autoplay to work are 

• autoplay
  • muted
  • playsinline

The first two apply to Android and iOS, the third is iOS only. 

Even then there are numerous exceptions that can  prevent autoplay from working.

• If the video has a soundtrack
  • if the device is in Low Power or Battery Saver mode
  • some browsers apply the muted attribute incorrectly and this blocks playback 
  • ..and others"

My question is: does this plugin work even with all these constraints that another user mentioned?

What do these last two items mean:

• ..and others?

Can you explain to me?

Thanks so much for your help.

Best regards,
Melanie Alves

23 minutes ago, buildingpictures said:

We are interested in the plugin. Our website is: https://www.buildingpictures.pt/ 

Hi Melanie

Are you having problems with a background video not playing on your Squarespace 7.1 site?

As I mentioned in my earlier postSquarespace now allows you to upload a video directly to the background of a section in Squarespace 7.1. You no longer need Vimeo or YouTube and should no longer experience issues with the video not playing. I'll be interested to hear if this isn't your experience.

Paul

15 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

Hi Melanie

Are you having problems with a background video not playing on your Squarespace 7.1 site?

As I mentioned in my earlier postSquarespace now allows you to upload a video directly to the background of a section in Squarespace 7.1. You no longer need Vimeo or YouTube and should no longer experience issues with the video not playing. I'll be interested to hear if this isn't your experience.

Paul

Hi Paul
I wasn't aware of that. I've already tried a video with these features and you are right: it works on mobile. Only when I put a video through Vimeo and Youtube does it not work.

It was really a precious help. Thank you very, very much, Paul!

5 hours ago, buildingpictures said:

Hi @digitalfreelancer,

We are interested in the plugin that you mentioned in your post. 

Our website is: https://www.buildingpictures.pt/ 

Please contact us at: press@buildingpictures.pt

By the way, I read another comment about this topic from another member (@colin.irwin), and I was intrigued by this:

"Actually, it is controlled at OS level rather than browser level. Android and iOS have both blocked autoplay background video until recent releases. 

The attributes needed for autoplay to work are 

• autoplay
  • muted
  • playsinline

The first two apply to Android and iOS, the third is iOS only. 

Even then there are numerous exceptions that can  prevent autoplay from working.

• If the video has a soundtrack
  • if the device is in Low Power or Battery Saver mode
  • ..and others"

My question is: does this plugin work even with all these constraints that another user mentioned?

What do these last two items mean:

• ..and others?

Can you explain to me?

Thanks so much for your help.

Best regards,
Melanie Alves

Hi Melanie I'll email you. In short, yes it works, though if an iOS device is in low power mode it won't play.

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2022 at 4:44 PM, SannaBuckhoj said:

Hi - I just purchased this plugin from Will Meyers - but the link I gott with instructions on how to install didnt work. Do you know how to install a rtf file into my Squarespace Site @tuanphan ????

It looks like RTF is not video format???

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 2 weeks later...