Issue with video quality for videos uploaded on squarespace

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: http://airfilmlab.com

Hi everyone. I'm having some issues uploading videos on squarespace. I've got some 4k videos that I put in the video section page, but for some unknown reason squarespace only upload them in 1080p. I contacted the assistance many and many times for that but nobody could help me.

I just want to know if it's an issue you're having as well or if it's just me. 

My internet connection is stable, my videos are 3840x2160 100% sure, and my video storage is 9 mins out of 30 available. 

Does anybody have any clue what it could be? Thank you in advance. I'll stay updated for further comments on this post.

• Solution
On 4/25/2022 at 4:16 PM, Airfilmlab said:

I'm having some issues uploading videos. I've got some 4k videos...but for some unknown reason squarespace only upload them in 1080p. I just want to know if it's an issue you're having as well or if it's just me.

Although you can upload videos with a maximum resolution of 4K, it is not possible to play them at 4K after they have been uploaded. This is because Squarespace encodes the 4K video as a lower bitrate 1080p MPEG4 file after it is uploaded, for playback at 1080p or 360p.

The support article Adding videos to your site describes the upload specification not the playback specification:

image.thumb.png.30db3f7af4a3e6a382dc653ebf40478b.png

In addition to the resolution limit, Squarespace also limits the video bitrate. A higher video bitrate usually means a higher quality video but is only useful if the visitor has sufficient bandwidth available to stream the video.

Here is a comparison of the video bit rates for Squarespace's own hosting compared to Vimeo, a professional video hosting service:

Standard Definition 360p video
Squarespace: 1.5Mbps
Vimeo: 5Mbps

High Definition (HD) 1080p video
Squarespace: 3Mbps
Vimeo: up to 20Mbps

Ultra High Definition (UHD) 4K video
Squarespace: not yet supported
Vimeo: up to 60Mbps

You cannot change any of these parameters as they are fixed. If you require anything more, you will need to consider a third-party professional video hosting plan. 

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009
edited for clarity

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I have the same issue.

My original video is in 4k, 25fps, H.265. However, I have also created alternative versions of it in order to avoid having compatibility issues if I want to upload it somewhere. So I have also created:

a) A 4k, 25 fps, H.264 version.

b) An HD, 25 fps, H.265 version.

c) An HD, 25fps, H.264 version.

The video is 2,11 mins long and file sizes are:

a) 4k, H.265 video - 872 MB

b) 4k, H.264 video - 950 MB

c) HD, H.265 video - 700 MB

d) HD, H.264 video - 671 MB

I have tried to upload all of them directly in Squarespace and unfortunately Squarespace puts all of them through the meat grinder.

Does anyone know a solution to this?

• 3 months later...

Same issue,

Has anyone found an solution? Because the video`s come out horrible.

Is adding them to Youtube and then adding to the website a workarround? Or does it still put them through the meat grinder as you say.

Its probably a cheap way for squarespace to limit bandwith.

A proper respons from squarespace would be nice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@sspec1004 @EmilyVanGils @Codality @Holland_Productions

As I tried to explain above, it is not possible to increase the technical quality of Squarespace-hosted videos. 

Squarespace employees don't routinely monitor this forum for feedback (see the guidelines - item 6) so if you'd like to pass on your feedback about video hosting, or make a feature request, you can do so by contacting Squarespace Customer Care.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...