- Creating a tool to allow end users to self-publish

I am looking for the ability on my website to allow end users to post their own content - text/images and the ability to embed links to audio and video if they have it -- ideally with the ability for me to approve the content before it gets published.  I spoke with Squarespace Support and they said it would have to be a  Can anyone help with this?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, helari said:

I am looking for the ability on my website to allow end users to post their own content

There isn’t a way to allow website users or members to add content to a Squarespace website - by any method. Only contributors can add content to a Squarespace website, and they can edit any page on any part of the site.

Is this post informative? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

If I can't use Square Space to do this

As paul2009 mentions SS doesn't do what you want natively.

must I move my website over to Word Press?

I wouldn't say must. If you feel that this is something WP can do easily for you and your content providers, then that is an option.

I'm not aware of a plug-in or extension that does what you want.

That doesn't mean that it can't be done. The critical bits to solve are going to be some way to capture your end users input and then a way to output that into your site. With the possible additional review/approval step.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Site URL: https://ourstoriesinvividcolor.org/

I would like to allow my website on Squarespace to allow end users/visitors to be able to register and post their own content/stories to my website, in the form of text/images and embedded links to videos and/or audio.

Does squarespace support this functionality? If not, what service does? I hope to keep the site I am building on Squarespace, this is my last ditch effort to keep it here. If I cannot add this functionality here, then I will have to go to wordpress or another website service that allows me to do this.  Really, similar to this post right here - where I can post my own content and post images as well. 

A similar website that does what I want my website to do is here: 

https://ourstoriesinvividcolor.org/

On 4/19/2022 at 7:24 PM, creedon said:

As paul2009 mentions SS doesn't do what you want natively.

I wouldn't say must. If you feel that this is something WP can do easily for you and your content providers, then that is an option.

I'm not aware of a plug-in or extension that does what you want.

That doesn't mean that it can't be done. The critical bits to solve are going to be some way to capture your end users input and then a way to output that into your site. With the possible additional review/approval step.

How would I go about finding someone who can help me accomplish this? Surely it has been done before.

58 minutes ago, helari said:

How would I go about finding someone who can help me to [allow end users to self-publish]?

If you want end users to post their own content to the website, you'll need a different platform. Squarespace does not offer this and no-one can change this.

As I mentioned, only people you have added as website contributors can post content to a Squarespace website. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.