Adding sections to blog posts for more layout control - 7.1

I'm trying to create some nicer layouts for my blog posts but I cannot figure out how to add "sections" to a blog post. I can to pages and portfolio items, but that option simply does not show up for posts.

I've googled, watched video tutorials that mention horizontal "tear drop icons" that allow you to do that but my interface will simply not show that. I'm using the latest version  of chrome.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Blog posts do not support adding sections.

Portfolio pages support sections because in reality they are just normal pages which are then linked to from the portfolio index page.

Blog post pages are not normal pages.

I'm guessing here that is because SS's blogging system was designed earlier than the advent of v7.1 style of pages, with sections, and SS has not updated how blog pages work.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 3 months later...

This is another place to use blog summary blocks They are added to regular pages and each block's layout can be changed to make it unique, and since they are added to regular pages (and inside a blog if you want) you can add sections. Once you do that you put your blog in the unlinked secton of your site and let the summary block page or pages become your public facing blog instead. My blog is in 7.0 Avenue and I don't have sections like 7.1 but I stil take advantage of making my posts layout much different from the Avenue blog page as you can see here: my random views choose blog and here is the normal blog page that resides in the unlinked section of my site: https://myrandomviews.com/blog

Edited by derricksrandomviews