Jump to content

Impossible to Rearrange Product Categories?

Recommended Posts

I desperately need to reorder my product categories. Squarespace shows the drag and drop icon on the product categories, yet I can't grab it and move it. Doesn't matter where on the list I try or on the category itself, nothing will move. Individual products move this way, but I can't seem to get the categories to work like they should.

Does anyone else have this issue or know of a solution?

categories.png

Link to comment
  • Replies 6
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Circagirl92 said:

I need to reorder my product categories. Squarespace shows the drag and drop icon on the product categories, yet I can't grab it and move it.

The drag handle is to allow you to nest categories within other categories; it is not for reordering categories. They will always be shown in alphabetical order because this is the way users will expect to find them. Reordering them can reduce discoverability and lower conversion rates but if you have a good reason to ignore this UX principle, you’ll need to use some code. This will be specific to the site, do we’d need a working link to the site as well as details about the reordering. 

About me: I'm Paul. A SQSP User for 18 yrs, I joined Circle when it launched in 2016 and have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL, providing expertise and extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee fuels my work.

Book paid help with a Squarespace Domain

Link to comment
10 hours ago, paul2009 said:

The drag handle is to allow you to nest categories within other categories; it is not for reordering categories. They will always be shown in alphabetical order because this is the way users will expect to find them. Reordering them can reduce discoverability and lower conversion rates but if you have a good reason to ignore this UX principle, you’ll need to use some code. This will be specific to the site, do we’d need a working link to the site as well as details about the reordering. 

If it was truly just in alphabetical order, I would 100% be happy with that. However, that isn't the case. It orders them according to how new they are. Newest always are at the top. Also not talking necessarily about how the customer sees it in the traditional sense, as it pulls from a filter. The filter follows the order I see on the backend. Forester Wilderness is the newest category I made. So now my filter orders them just like below (it's driving me insane that it's not in alphabetical order)
image.png.8641cae5e0e294ec5835b6a3b2a0b7fe.png

Link to comment

I didn't read your question properly and thought you were referring to categories elsewhere. 😬

You can reorder your categories in the categories panel of the store's settings (see below). If this isn't working for you, please try this in the Google Chrome browser, as Squarespace generally works better with this.

move-categories-reorder.gif.ace1db8bc6d2791ce97e849d50fe09ca.gif

Edited by paul2009
edited for clarity

About me: I'm Paul. A SQSP User for 18 yrs, I joined Circle when it launched in 2016 and have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL, providing expertise and extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee fuels my work.

Book paid help with a Squarespace Domain

Link to comment
5 hours ago, paul2009 said:

I didn't read your question properly and thought you were referring to categories elsewhere. 😬

You can reorder your categories in the categories panel of the store's settings:

move-categories-reorder.gif.ace1db8bc6d2791ce97e849d50fe09ca.gif

No worries. So I think mine is bugged. It just refuses to let me drag anything. Doesn't matter where I try and drag it, it won't budge. 😩

Link to comment
  • 1 year later...

I know this is a super-old topic but I struggled with the same issue and after combing these forums, trying out various samples of code, nothing worked...until.......

I tried to do this in a different browser. That's right - in Google Chrome I was unable to drag and drop the categories on my product page but I was able to do that using Firefox. Problem solved for now. Hope this saves others from the same frustration I went through. 

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

×
×
  • Create New...

Squarespace Webinars

Free online sessions where you’ll learn the basics and refine your Squarespace skills.

Hire a Designer

Stand out online with the help of an experienced designer or developer.