Google not indexing homepage

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: https://www.leighsuggs.com/

Hey I'm wondering if this is an issue that I can fix within Squarespace?

I recently switched a client over from 7.0 to 7.1 and rebuilt her website with a few changes to the way it was organized and with a bunch of new content. We connected the old domain to the new site and canceled the old site. When I initially resubmitted the sitemap for the new site and requested indexing on all important pages, there was no issue and her ranking was excellent - showing up 1st in google search results. Now, her home page is not being indexed at all because of a soft 404 issue -- all other pages are being indexed with the exception of https://www.leighsuggs.com/ and https://www.leighsuggs.com/home -- both of which are active links as far as I can tell. And incidentally -- these are the most important pages to be indexed! 

I submitted a help request to google and their response was that the URL doesn't exist? Help. I've tried removing the home page as the page that people get directed to when there is a 404 message (to catch the old random links from her old site that may exist on various institutions websites) and that didn't help so I turned that back on. 

Anytime I request indexing within google search console it thinks for a little while and then says "Oops! something went wrong!" I've tried over and over again for the past week with no results. 

Attached is a screenshot of what it looks like within console. 

Anyone else run into this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Cami

Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 12.44.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 12.45.14 PM.png

• Solution
On 3/31/2022 at 6:00 PM, cami_leisk said:

Her home page is not being indexed at all because of a soft 404 issue -- all other pages are being indexed

As a first step, I suggest adding some relevant text-based content to the homepage and then request reindexing. I say this because the homepage doesn't contain any useful text content that can be indexed - at least none that I could see. 

Google wants to provide users with the best "answer" to their search "question" so, for the homepage to be indexed and considered valuable, it must contain useful information on the topic you want to rank for. 

As a minimum, Google has to know what the page is about, otherwise it will be considered "thin content". If the site doesn't contain enough authoritative information, it may not be enough to convince search engines that the site is worth indexing. I'm not an SEO expert, but search engines typically want to see more than 300 words on a page to rank it. If it were me, I'd add a lot more text content and then I'd re-submit the updated sitemap.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.