Changing Category Headers from h2 to h1

• Replies 4
  • Views 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi @lukewrb9 I think your best bet is to add a section above the category archive display, and then you can add a h1 heading (and perhaps some introductory text as well, which will never hurt for SEO purposes). Then you can turn off or hide the h2 category title the comes with the default page layout.

Hope that helps,

Ed

--

Blue Hills Digital
Support with website optimization, SEO and finding a digital marketing strategy that works.

Latest resource: Squarespace SEO Services

Ah I see what you mean. Sorry - I see how my earlier response doesn't solve the problem.

As best I can tell this is a platform-level problem with Squarespace 7.1 – the automatically generated titles on the Shop and Product Category pages are all rendered in <h2> tags instead of <h1>.

You could reach out to Squarespace Support to see if they can suggest a workaround...

Alternatively, if SS support can't help and you want more control over the category pages you could create them manually as regular pages and then populate the product listing using summary blocks. That way you could create the appropriate page structure. You would have to create URL redirects from each of the system-generated category archive pages to your custom ones, and set the system-generated category pages to noindex.

Convoluted, but I'm not aware of another way to get around that.

- Ed

--

Blue Hills Digital
Support with website optimization, SEO and finding a digital marketing strategy that works.

Latest resource: Squarespace SEO Services