Confused about hosting fees

Site URL: https://www.rebeccaroundhill.co.uk

Hello! I am new to Squarespace.  A web designer set up a Squarespace site for me (which I love) and I paid Squarespace for a personal plan.

My old Wordpress site was hosted with ipage and ipage tell me I ALSO have to pay them for hosting - my domain name couldn't be transferred to Squarespace as it doesn't meet requirements. The A record of the domain is pointing to my Squarespace site.

I will need to pay ipage again in May for another 3 years of hosting and other add ons that I have. Will I still need to pay the back up and sitelock fees? Does the Squarespace fee cover these too? I am just a bit confused, I don't fully understand why two fees but just want to ensure I am not paying twice for stuff.

Also would it be a good idea to delete my old Wordpress site? I won’t be going back to it.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just had a chat with ipage and they are now saying that There is no need to have hosting plan because I have not created an email I can downgrade to free account to manage the domains. They are now calling it a domain parking account. 

So confused!

4 hours ago, Becr said:

A web designer set up a Squarespace site for me. My old Wordpress site was hosted with ipage and ipage tell me I ALSO have to pay them for hosting - my domain name couldn't be transferred to Squarespace as it doesn't meet requirements.

Can you explain what you mean when you say it "doesn't meet requirements"? 

From what I understand, your WP site and your domain name were previously hosted with iPage. If you now have a new site that is entirely hosted on Squarespace you should be able to transfer your domain away from iPage and then stop paying fees to them. You should be able to transfer the domain relatively easily if you:

• Have full access to your iPage account
  • Have not made changes to your domain contact information in the last 60 days (the last change appears to have been on 21-Jun-2021)
  • Are not contractually obliged to remain on iPage

This iPage guide explains the steps to unlock the domain, disable domain privacy and then receive a transfer authorisation code by email. This Squarespace guide explains the full transfer process.

Let me know if you have questions.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

When I checked my domain it looked like it is because of it being .co.uk I can't transfer it but I will look again. Would you mind just confirming to me Paul, that what ipage has said is correct. That a domain parking account is all I need now with them because my website is Squarespace and the A record of the domain is pointing to that site. This is all a foreign language to me so I am fearful my website will go down when ipage cancel the hosting at the end of May. 

If I have it correct, all I will lose in May are the files of my old Wordpress site hosted with ipage. Thank you for your help. 

Edited by Becr
7 minutes ago, Becr said:

Would you mind just confirming to me Paul, that what ipage has said is correct.

Sure, I'll try 🙂.

iPage are telling you that a domain parking account is all you need because they want to retain you as a customer and continue to pay them for the domain name, but this is not your only option. You can either:

• TRANSFER your domain to Squarespace, or 
  • CONNECT your domain to Squarespace (as you are doing right now).

Both are equally valid, but in my opinion the transfer option is usually safer and involves less admin overhead. 

If you transfer the domain name to Squarespace you'll be billed by Squarespace for both the site and the name and there's one company to contact if you have problems.

If you keep the domain name with iPage you'll need to pay them separately for the domain name hosting. To be clear, iPage shouldn't be charging you for any other services, even if you keep the domain with them. If they are saying otherwise, then they either misunderstand or aren't being very upfront about your options. 

5 minutes ago, Becr said:

When I checked my domain it looked like because is is .co.uk I can't transfer it

You can transfer a .co.uk domain to Squarespace. It is supported.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

You’re very welcome.