The new squarespace is so frustrating.

I wanted to post here, because, it seems every blogging platform is going towards this whole "Block" layout and overly complex customisation. I came back to squarespace in hopes I would find some solice, but to no avail.

I don't mind the block setup, but for some reason every platform including squarespace adds so much complexity, plus not to mention the lag of using the system; and I'm not on a particularly weak machine.

Templates

It used to be that there would be base templates that you could switch in and out, no more - it seems they are all one in the same. If there was a simple template you liked from the old days - good luck. I wanted to create a blog where the preview images don't show on the blog, but of course still want on social networks - couldn't find how to do it.

Block customisation

Way too many individual customisation options that aren't adjusted globally. I see a problem, fix it in one block A, and notice later that same block on another page held the previous styles. This causes me to constantly double check various pages, sometimes it doesn't do it - but that fear and anxiety of missing a component that didn't change with the rest lives on.

Colours

Could it get any more confusing? Again, old system was very simple - style H1, H2, links, paragraph and done; the new global colors system would be useful as a hybrid of the old system - but now I have no idea if I should change colours on the block, on the global level, does global change and override other custom blocks? each block added has its own colours on different pages. It's a huge mess and can easily cause major regression problems later down the road.

----

I'm sorry, but the feeling to me here, is that squarespace has lost sight of its original mission. "A hassle free simple elegant blogging platform that requires no effort to get started." Coming back, I just find myself frustrated, confused and constantly wanting to flip my table because things are just so difficult (and laggy).

Unfortunately other blogging platforms all have the same issues, and it's a trend that really does suck. And so I am on the hunt again for a simple blogging platform that is quick and easy to setup, customize, and begin writing (like the old squarespace). If anyone has recommendations I would gladly try them out.

Edited by l3luemage
On 3/24/2022 at 10:58 PM, l3luemage said:

Templates

It used to be that there would be base templates that you could switch in and out, no more - it seems they are all one in the same. If there was a simple template you liked from the old days - good luck. I wanted to create a blog where the preview images don't show on the blog, but of course still want on social networks - couldn't find how to do it.

The 7.0 platform still works this way. 7.1 is the one where you don't have a template per se since they all support the same features. If you want to see if a template  you liked before is still available you can look at the templates and scroll down to the bottom and there will a line that says something along the lines of looking for an older version of Squarespace. If you click there you will find the 7.0 version templates that you can change if needed. Just know that there is no way to transfer a build from 7.0 to 7.1 when and if you do so. It's a completely new build to change at this point.  Might be an option in the future, but not at the moment.

I can understand your frustration with v7.1 and you make many good points about its issues.

I don't have a problem with the v7.1 template itself. Like Brine it lends itself to be modified in a number of useful ways. From a support and effect creation perspective having only one template to deal with is a blessing. But I can see from the design side of things it may be less desirable.

One thing I think v7.1 is missing is an easy way to get to a color scheme you've seen on another site. I'm thinking of the various v7.1 demo sites. I'd like to be able to start a site, then at any time, say oh, I like that color scheme they used there and just click and have it done! Yes I know that with hours of pain I can replicate the color scheme of site. I don't like pain!

SS really does need some kind of unified plan to manage settings of various elements of a site. You are correct that block level elements on the whole seem to be completely independent. Which probably makes more sense at the block level. But you are right there is a need for a global level I think.

There is another related issue. Some of the page level settings are global! If I have two store pages and make one with 1:1 images. Then go into the other and change the image to 3:2, that change is translated back to the first store. Two get two stores on the same site with you have to do all kinds of painful custom code.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 7 months later...
On 3/28/2022 at 10:05 PM, creedon said:

I can understand your frustration with v7.1 and you make many good points about its issues.

I don't have a problem with the v7.1 template itself. Like Brine it lends itself to be modified in a number of useful ways. From a support and effect creation perspective having only one template to deal with is a blessing. But I can see from the design side of things it may be less desirable.

One thing I think v7.1 is missing is an easy way to get to a color scheme you've seen on another site. I'm thinking of the various v7.1 demo sites. I'd like to be able to start a site, then at any time, say oh, I like that color scheme they used there and just click and have it done! Yes I know that with hours of pain I can replicate the color scheme of site. I don't like pain!

SS really does need some kind of unified plan to manage settings of various elements of a site. You are correct that block level elements on the whole seem to be completely independent. Which probably makes more sense at the block level. But you are right there is a need for a global level I think.

There is another related issue. Some of the page level settings are global! If I have two store pages and make one with 1:1 images. Then go into the other and change the image to 3:2, that change is translated back to the first store. Two get two stores on the same site with you have to do all kinds of painful custom code.

I don't know where to post my question, so maybe you can help me or steer me to another post.  I have a store with photography for sale.  The problem I'm having is that the photo isn't showing completely when someone goes to buy it.  How can I make a photo show up in its entirety?

1 hour ago, Wanderlust123 said:

I don't know where to post my question, so maybe you can help me or steer me to another post.

I suggest starting a new topic or find one through the forum search engine.

For a new topic go to < https://forum.squarespace.com/ >. Click on Start A Discussion button. Select the Customize with code forum as that is probably the closest for your question.

Mixing different topics in one thread makes it more difficult for everyone to track what is being discussed where.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 1 year later...

I also find the "Blog" section clunky in 7.1. I actually decided to just insert text and image blocks into a blank section instead of using their Blog templates. It's a pain to change the fonts and I have spent forever (unsuccessfully) trying to figure out how to change the date. Compared to the 7.0 blog template and even platforms like Blogger, this is not user friendly at all.