How can I create a 301 redirect for my website's homepage?

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: https://anna-stacy.squarespace.com

Hi all,

I'm transitioning from my old Squarespace 7.0 site (anna-stacy.squarespace.com) to a new 7.1 site (annastacy.com) and have created 301 redirects for all pages but the splash. Unfortunately, as I can only apply a 301 to disabled pages and I can't disable the homepage, I can't make it so that going to anna-stacy.squarespace.com (old URL) takes users to annastacy.com (current URL). Any ideas for a work-around?

Thanks!

• Solution
On 3/14/2022 at 5:03 PM, priorpriorwalter said:

I'm transitioning from my old Squarespace 7.0 site (anna-stacy.squarespace.com) to a new 7.1 site (annastacy.com). I can't make it so that going to anna-stacy.squarespace.com (old URL) takes users to annastacy.com (current URL).

You can move your built-in anna-stacy.squarespace.com domain to your new site, but first you'll need to remove it from the old site by changing the built-in Squarespace domain of the old site from anna-stacy to something else. To do this:

1. Log on to the old site and navigate to Settings > Domains
  2. Change your built-in domain from anna-stacy to old-anna-stacy. Save the change. 
  3. Next, logon to your new site and navigate to the same panel - Settings > Domains
  4. Change your built-in domain from butterfly-bullfrog-9npa to anna-stacy.

When you save the changes, your new site should work for both anna-stacy.squarespace.com and annastacy.com.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

22 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

You can move your built-in anna-stacy.squarespace.com domain to your new site, but first you'll need to remove it from the old site by changing the built-in Squarespace domain of the old site from anna-stacy to something else. To do this:

2. Change your built-in domain from anna-stacy to old-anna-stacy. Save the change. 
  3. Next, logon to your new site and navigate to the same panel - Settings > Domains

When you save the changes, your new site should work for both anna-stacy.squarespace.com and annastacy.com.

Amazing! Thank you so much @paul2009

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Cindy1570048209 said:

So this is how you avoid re-directs?

It may reduce the need for redirects but I wouldn't say you can avoid them all together.

If you are moving to v7.1 you may need to use more redirects because v7.1 has changed the structure of some of the URLs.

If you stay with v7.0 then I think you'll need fewer.

The basic rule of redirects is if a URL slug goes away and you want people to find new info, you HAVE to use a redirect.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Creedon, An additional question based on the top topic, but slightly different to the questions that's been answered. We're trying to use Google 'Change of Address' system to ensure an new 'SS" website with a new domain, is going to get the traffic from an old 'SS' website with an old domain. Google has a tool to do this, however, it's asking for a 301 redirect from the OLD site Homepage! I've tried a few things in URL mappings, and reached out to support, but they tell me you can redirect a LIVE homepage! Frustrated and going round in circles... Fingers crossed. Thanks in advance.  

4 hours ago, theBrandChap said:

but they tell me you can redirect a LIVE homepage!

Did you mean can't redirect? This would make sense in that SS's redirect feature is based on pages that don't exist and an SS site always has a home page.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

11 hours ago, theBrandChap said:

SO is there a work-around to keep Google Search Console Happy?

I don't know about keeping GSC happy. I think we need a bit more info about the elements involved. Who is hosting the domain names for the SS sites? Is it SS?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2022 at 5:15 PM, paul2009 said:

Hi Paul - firing this up again, hope that’s ok. This is the closest I've got to a solution!

I want my old 7.0 domain www.thebigredbox.co to redirect to my new 7.1 www.ijustcalledtosay.co.uk.

I've added loads of 301 redirects but as the www.thebigredbox.co homepage is still live none of them will work. Squarespace live chat has been very confusing! I want to keep the website as I have lots of clients audio galleries on it (wedding supplier) whilst I transfer all the data over. How do I disable the homepage, I don't want it to be private or password protected.

Is there a way to solve this at all...? Here's hoping...Rebecca

1 hour ago, TheBigRedBox said:

I want my old 7.0 domain www.thebigredbox.co to redirect to my new 7.1 www.ijustcalledtosay.co.uk.

Hi Rebecca

There isn't a DNS record for www at thebigredbox.co. Are you in the process of making changes?

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.