View Event Button on upcoming events

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hi there,

For some reason, my past events display the "View Event" button in list view, but my future or current events do not show this button. The theme we're using is extremely pared down -- it seems this button is easily edited on other templates.

https://www.tradertoddsmarina.com/events

I would like future events to show the "View Event" button as well. I am assuming this is a simple addition of code to the custom CSS window, but I can't even find what article to specify to make any modifications to the button. It's nested specifically under upcoming events, which adds a layer of confusion for me. Any help is appreciated! 

EDIT: I was able to hide it on past events by adding a.eventlist-button.sqs-editable-button {display:none;} -- but I'd still rather it show on both future and past!

Edited by tt-2020
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone find a solution for this? Having the same issue, the past events display a View Events button, but active events do not. I prefer if they both have the button (or at the least, that they both don't). It seems inconsistent. For now I'm adding manually, but... why? lol

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2020 at 12:10 PM, Yari said:

Anyone find a solution for this? Having the same issue, the past events display a View Events button, but active events do not. I prefer if they both have the button (or at the least, that they both don't). It seems inconsistent. For now I'm adding manually, but... why? lol

Yari, how do you do that? I have the same problem - it's quite annoying as it's not obvious for visitors to click on the title. Also I can't see how to add a manual button on the events page?

On 7/15/2020 at 12:50 AM, Trina68 said:

Yari, how do you do that? I have the same problem - it's quite annoying as it's not obvious for visitors to click on the title. Also I can't see how to add a manual button on the events page?

Hi @Trina68, I literally add a text link or a button block in the excerpt of the event (assuming you have the option of an excerpt showing). That way the link/button will direct the user to the event single page. I had to use code to hide the View Events button from past events:

<style>
  .eventlist-button { display: none !important; visibility: hidden !important;
</style>

The code above is what I used and I think is pretty universal for Squarespace 7.1 but I've only used it once so far so I can't guarantee it 😉 At the very least it can serve as a starting point. Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2020 at 9:19 AM, GeorgeCrane said:

In version 7.0, when viewing an Events page, I could enable a  "View Event" button for each event via design styles.   I can't see how to enable that same button in version 7.1, is it available somehow?

Hi, did you end up finding out how to do this? I'm having the same issue. Thanks

Hi, How does everyone manage with no buttons on the 7.1 event page? They can view the event, but then can't do anything like click to join. Most of my events are digital, so clients would expect a link to a webinar or live stream once they have landed on the page. I have been manually adding buttons to the individual event pages, but can't add them to excerpt, meaning none show on the complete event page. Very odd! I need clients to be able to book 2-3 seminars quickly, but the event pages are slowing everything down. Clients click from the summary on the main page to land on one and book that, then get directed to the Events page where there is only info and no way to book others. Very odd! Not sure that Squarespace can handle digital events now.

Any experience of this or advice on getting around it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Please post the URL of the specific page where you are having this issue so we can take a look.

It looks like there is another thread going on similar to this one.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

On 9/16/2020 at 8:44 AM, WebHelper said:

I am also having this issue. Users really can't tell that they have to click the event title for more info... I want to put a custom css for "view event" for summary blocks for events in list format. 

Have you solved it yet?

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

23 hours ago, tuanphan said:

Have you found the solution yet?

Hi Tuanphan,

Thank you for getting back to me. Very kind. I have found a workaround by adding text links in excerpt and buttons to the individual events. Just strange that the summary blocks can show any. Thanks anyway. It's a 7.1 quirk I guess.

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, jtherieau said:

Same problem here. https://www.gsp-rescue.org/events

I want the button to be visible—on both past and active events.

You can add textlink in event excerpt, then we can turn it to button

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

This may not work in all cases, but it seems to work for me in a 7.1 events summary list pages.  Add the following code on the summary list page.   It will add a "Read More ->" link following the excerpt.   Please add improvements or corrections.  -George

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.9.1.min.js"></script>
<script>
$( document ).ready(function() {
    $('.summary-item-list .summary-item')
        .each(function() {
            var href = $(this)
                .find('.summary-content .summary-title a').attr('href');
            var read = '<!-- Read More Link -->' +
                '<a href="' + href +
                '" class="summary-read-more-link">Read More &#8594;</a>';
            $(this).find('.summary-excerpt').after(read);
    })
});
 </script>
<style>
.sqs-block-summary-v2 .summary-read-more-link {
   display: block;
  }
</style>

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2020 at 9:25 AM, GeorgeCrane said:

This may not work in all cases, but it seems to work for me in a 7.1 events summary list pages.  Add the following code on the summary list page.   It will add a "Read More ->" link following the excerpt.   Please add improvements or corrections.  -George

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.9.1.min.js"></script>
<script>
$( document ).ready(function() {
    $('.summary-item-list .summary-item')
        .each(function() {
            var href = $(this)
                .find('.summary-content .summary-title a').attr('href');
            var read = '<!-- Read More Link -->' +
                '<a href="' + href +
                '" class="summary-read-more-link">Read More &#8594;</a>';
            $(this).find('.summary-excerpt').after(read);
    })
});
 </script>
<style>
.sqs-block-summary-v2 .summary-read-more-link {
   display: block;
  }
</style>

GeorgeCrane, do you add this in the Page Header Code Injection for the Events page itself? Or do you add it in Custom CSS for the whole site?

• 5 weeks later...