mobile menu drop down

Go to solution Solved by Caroline_Smith,

Site URL: http://groundedbehavioralhealth.com

Hi - I'm hoping to find out how I can cause the mobile menu hamburger to show a drop down when you hover over it. In the desktop view, you hover over the menu link and it shows a drop down. In the mobile view, you click on the hamburger and it takes you to a separate page with just a 'menu' link, which then takes you to the menu. How can I remove this extra unnecessary step?

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 10.18.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 10.18.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 10.18.38 AM.png

Hi there! This might not be the answer you are looking for, but it sounds like you need to make the dropdown menu a single level menu, so that they are not hidden behind a dropdown. There are tons of UX studies out there that show hiding crucial information behind interactive elements can actually hurt discoverability (the ease of which people can find information) on your site if done incorrectly.

Affectively, you've made it harder for site visitors to navigate your site both on desktop, and mobile by hiding the menu options behind a "Menu" dropdown item, when it doesn't look like your navigation has a need for dropdown menus.

However, If you still want to keep the options in a menu dropdown, I'm sure some Squarespace expert on here has figured out some code to do so.

I really hope this helps! Remember, you only have a few seconds to make an impression on your visitors, so try not to make it hard for them to find information 🙂

Edited by Caroline_Smith

Feel free to email me with any customization inquiries or questions you may have!

Free Squarespace Resources: DevTools Minicourse,  11-Step Guide to Improve Custom CSS, Free Product/Pricing Comparison Table Generator

• Solution
5 hours ago, groundedbehavioralhealth said:

Thanks so much for your response. I think I understand - do you suggest not having a menu with drop down at all? Versus maybe having the links available in a header?

I do have navigation options on the home site to some aspects that are included in the menu, but not all.

I appreciate your help, this is all new to me!

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 2.29.51 PM.png

There are more web designers who have more experience with this topic than I do as I've only been in web and UX design for about 2 years, but based on my research, I think people expect to have a visible and static navigation that they can look to for guidance on how to navigate your site in addition to the CTA(s) you have on your homepage, that way as they navigate through your site, they always have a concrete way to find what they need. So I think you don't need the dropdown menu; I think you'd be better off displaying all 6 of your navigation items in the header (and possibly shortening a few of the longer ones into more concise).

Dropdown menus work for some websites, but if you only have 5 single-level menu items as you do on your site, I think it's unnecessarily difficult to have all of them hidden behind a "Menu" item, especially on a desktop when there is no real need to hide them like on mobile devices.

Does that make more sense?

Edited by Caroline_Smith

Feel free to email me with any customization inquiries or questions you may have!

Free Squarespace Resources: DevTools Minicourse,  11-Step Guide to Improve Custom CSS, Free Product/Pricing Comparison Table Generator

2 hours ago, groundedbehavioralhealth said:

That makes a lot of sense - thank you so much for the detailed feedback!

No problem - glad you found the info helpful!